Anyone notice this?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Yenko

Fish Addict
Reaction score
It seems to me that the better the growing conditions are for Java Fern, the less plantlets it produces. I kept some Java Fern in a 10 gallon tank with 50W of incadescent lighting and it was doing ok, but producing plantlets like crazy. I have some in the same tank but now under 30w of flourescent light and it is growing very rapidly, pearling constantly but has not produced a single plantlet.

Yenko said:
It seems to me that the better the growing conditions are for Java Fern, the less plant lets it produces. I kept some Java Fern in a 10 gallon tank with 50W of incadescent lighting and it was doing ok, but producing plantlets like crazy. I have some in the same tank but now under 30w of flourescent light and it is growing very rapidly, pearling constantly but has not produced a single plantlet.
And my leaves grow longer as well .

I think it's a defense thing , when the plant becomes stressed it forms plant lets .

Many times the leaves that produce plant lets end up disintegrating , may also be a survival thing .

that makes sense, a plant that is doing poorly "thinks" that it might die and reproduces in an attempt to pass on its (genes? do plants have genes? im so thick) before it's too late. Look, I remembered something from biology lessons. :rolleyes:

uhm so if I would like more plantlets I should cut a healthy leaf and bump it in a bucket under the sink and ta-da lots of new plants.. wait I have a healthy leaf or 50 I'll give it a try..

this makes a lot of sense since mine is growing like crazy but every leaf is healthy and I cant seem make the plant producing plantlets so I could fill my other tanks..

Silly me said:
uhm so if I would like more plantlets I should cut a healthy leaf and bump it in a bucket under the sink and ta-da lots of new plants.. wait I have a healthy leaf or 50 I'll give it a try..

this makes a lot of sense since mine is growing like crazy but every leaf is healthy and I cant seem make the plant producing plantlets so I could fill my other tanks..
Just give um to me , I'll have plantlets in no time flat :lol:

Ok, I've done 2 things: Put a cut leaf into a jar of tankwater with very little light, temperatures 2-3 degrees cooler than the tank and moved a plant so one of its leaves sticks out of the aquarium, which should damage the leaf.

Most reactions

Back