Another Cycling Question,

1970GTO

Reaction score
I have had a 75 gallon setup for 8 plus weeks and added ammonia for the fishless cycle. Two questions that I have:

My Nitrites spiked up about 4 days ago and now when I test I have 0 Nitrites but still have ammonia around 4.0. My nitrates test out around 20. Is this a normal part of the
cycle and in a few days/week will my ammonia go down to zero?

My PH has dropped to 6.0 at times during this time frame. The lfs told me to get the PH up so I do a water change and presently it is 6.6. Anyone know what would cause the
PH drop? My tap is around 7.4

Thanks in advance for your responses. This is a great site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never heard of a nitrite spike followed by a drop to 0 when you have ammonia still present. So thats quite odd have you been adding a consistent amount of ammonia each day? Are your test kits still in they're use by date? Eventually the ammonia will drop to 0.
The pH drop is due to the oxidation of waste by the filter bacteria, havent seen a drop that fast before though. But if your in a soft water area it could happen. Do you know the KH of the tapwater? Rather than doing a water change if it drops again add bicarbonate of soda which will increase the pH and the KH, or buffering capacity, of the water.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back