Angelfish Spawning

Kou3

Reaction score
Hello..

So this is the third time my angels spawn in my community aquarium, first two times they ate all of the eggs, so my question for this time is, when can i take the eggs out i will post a picture for the colors, they spawned today morning? can i keep them in the same tank but in an enclosed small glass box?

And for next times, is it ok to let them spawn and just eat the eggs time after time?

IMG_5714.jpg

Thanks

Highly unlikely to get any fry in a community tank. They eat the eggs to protect them from the other fish. Even if some do hatch the other fish will eat them. best thing is to put the parents in their own tank. You can separate the eggs from the parents if you want. A gallon glass jar works fine or practically any other container. Three days to hatch, 5 more days until they start swimming. Put an air line in the jar for circulation and some anti fungal to stop fungus. A drop of methelene blue or a 1/4 tab of Jungle Fungus Clear.

Highly unlikely to get any fry in a community tank. They eat the eggs to protect them from the other fish. Even if some do hatch the other fish will eat them. best thing is to put the parents in their own tank. You can separate the eggs from the parents if you want. A gallon glass jar works fine or practically any other container. Three days to hatch, 5 more days until they start swimming. Put an air line in the jar for circulation and some anti fungal to stop fungus. A drop of methelene blue or a 1/4 tab of Jungle Fungus Clear.
Thank you, can i keep the fries in the same tank in such an isolated box?

61IAquzigYL._AC_SL1100_.jpg

I wouldn't. Cichlids like angelfish look after their fry and they'll be frantic trying to get the fry out of that net.

Cichlids need to learn how to be good parents. Fish farms separate the eggs as soon as possible to maximise the numbers of fry, but these fry have never experienced parental care so they don't know how to do it when they become parents. It takes a few batches of practicing before they get it right.
The only way to get a lot of fry is to put the parents in their own tank and let them practice. They'll eventually learn how to look after the eggs and then the fry.

Newly free swimming angel fry need to be fed live food a few times a day. You can pull the algae scraper to a hatching tank if you want.

Mine spawned on a large anubias leaf in a community tank. I got over 500 eggs in the spawn. I pulled the leaf and hatched them in a 2.6 gal. tank. This whole experience taught me I did not want to spawn angels, especially when I was told by angel breeders I would need to have two 55 gal. grow tanks for each spawning pair of angels. Angel fry are a mix of good ones and culls. The culls are either food for something or else end up in local stores for sale to unsuspecting buyers who don't know what to look for when they buy.

i-Cs68n97.jpg

i-s7VVt8S.jpg

I hatched BBS for them and then after about a week I began mixing frozen cyclop-ezze (no longer available) in with the live BBS. I started with about 10% cyclops and increased the ratio of cyclops to BBS over the next 4-5 days such that in the end they were eating the 100% cyclops.

Btw- I got the angels to eat the swordtail fry which were rapidly overwhelming me. Talk about going from the frying pan into the fire. I gave up keeping live bearers and angels not long after the above.

The above led me not to keep angels for a number of years. But the one's I really wanted were Altums and they are a whole differnt fish to keep than the various strains of domestic angels we see. You can probably count on your fingers the nuimber of people in the world who have managed to spawn Altums and I am not one of them by a long shot.

Those nets are notorious for allowing bigger fish to suck out the little ones. Much better to keep them in a 2-1/2 gallon or one of the plastic breeder boxes where the babies can't be gotten out. But if you have no other choice that net is better than letting them in the main tank.

I wouldn't. Cichlids like angelfish look after their fry and they'll be frantic trying to get the fry out of that net.

Cichlids need to learn how to be good parents. Fish farms separate the eggs as soon as possible to maximise the numbers of fry, but these fry have never experienced parental care so they don't know how to do it when they become parents. It takes a few batches of practicing before they get it right.
The only way to get a lot of fry is to put the parents in their own tank and let them practice. They'll eventually learn how to look after the eggs and then the fry.
Hmmm.. got it thanks, but can i keep them in the community tank and they keep spawning each week and eat there eggs? Till i get another tank for them..

Newly free swimming angel fry need to be fed live food a few times a day. You can pull the algae scraper to a hatching tank if you want.

Mine spawned on a large anubias leaf in a community tank. I got over 500 eggs in the spawn. I pulled the leaf and hatched them in a 2.6 gal. tank. This whole experience taught me I did not want to spawn angels, especially when I was told by angel breeders I would need to have two 55 gal. grow tanks for each spawning pair of angels. Angel fry are a mix of good ones and culls. The culls are either food for something or else end up in local stores for sale to unsuspecting buyers who don't know what to look for when they buy.

i-Cs68n97.jpg

i-s7VVt8S.jpg

I hatched BBS for them and then after about a week I began mixing frozen cyclop-ezze (no longer available) in with the live BBS. I started with about 10% cyclops and increased the ratio of cyclops to BBS over the next 4-5 days such that in the end they were eating the 100% cyclops.

Btw- I got the angels to eat the swordtail fry which were rapidly overwhelming me. Talk about going from the frying pan into the fire. I gave up keeping live bearers and angels not long after the above.

The above led me not to keep angels for a number of years. But the one's I really wanted were Altums and they are a whole differnt fish to keep than the various strains of domestic angels we see. You can probably count on your fingers the nuimber of people in the world who have managed to spawn Altums and I am not one of them by a long shot.
Thanksss a lot..

Altums are extremely rare to find in Jordan, once seller brought them and i have never seen anyone post about them and how they look after they bought them, i heard most of them died becuase they are hardy fish, Altums, Isabels, Manacapurus are my dream to have but we usually just have the typical angelfish

Most reactions

Back