Anemone feeding

leanne

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have bubble anemone who I have been feeding every day with either a king prawn, mussel or cockle. Is this OK or am I feeding it too much/little? When I gave him a whelk he spet it out so I assume if he was "full" he would do the same...

Anemones will thrive on a varied diet, especially if they have healthy zooxanthellae and are under bright lighting. Though anemones can consume large chunks of food, it is better (for the anemone and your system) to feed it smaller items more frequently. A good diet includes fresh or frozen seafood (krill, shrimp, mysis shrimp, scallops) enriched with reef vitamins (Selcon or Zoe). Additionally, prepared frozen aquarium foods work well - the gel-bind variety of Formula I/II, etc. Anemones will even eat flake food if they can grab it – some anemones will eat a lot of flake if they are located at the right spot in the aquarium where water flows directly into their tentacles. Try different foods to see which one your anemone accepts best – as individuals their tastes seem to vary. Monitor feeding based on the health of the anemone and understand that your anemone will grow based on how much you feed it. If you want it to grow quickly, feed once per day. If you want it to grow slowly, feeding once per week (or less frequently) is fine.

Most reactions

Back