algae

Jen

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I am getting a fair bit of algae growth with the new tank.. the dark green kind that needs a ton of scrubbing to get rid of. I'm sure it has to do with the 10,000k bulbs that the store gave me with out my knowing. Once I get it all scrubbed off, are there any short term solutions to make sure it doesn't come back? Fast growing plants? A blackout?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Increasing it to over 20 mg/l (ideally 30 mg/l) would help. Combine this with heavy planting of fast growers and this should see off the algae.

If I remember rightly you have a lot of light - you need to balance this with plenty of CO2, heavy planting and fertilisation to acheive an algae free tank.

If boosting your CO2 isn't an option then you may need to reduce your lighting intensity and/or photoperiod to compensate.

Do you have plenty of algae eating fish (3 Otos won't make a dent in your size tank - I would go for at least 12, SAEs are good too as are Amano shrimp).

Good luck.

I'll try upping the co2 first. I have the nutrafin system hooked up through a three way airline splitter thing. could I make a pop bottle one and run it through the same thing, so it goes through the same diffuser? Or does it need it own?

I fear that you may not be able to acheive a contant, high enough CO2 level using yeast-based methods in a tank of your size without resorting to using lots of bottles, yeast and sugar. You will also be constantly making up fresh mixtures. I find it hard enough acheiving 30 mg/l in my 34 Gallon using two Nutrafins - I change mixtures weekly to acheive enough output. In theory you would need almost 3 times the output that I have to acheive similar results!

To answer your question you could use the same diffuser, hopefully the bubbles will remain small ensuring the CO2 dissolves effectively.

I would seriously consider going the pressurized CO2 route personally. I'm getting one for my birthday. It would pay for itself in time, think of all the sugar and yeast you'd save!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back