Algae Id Help Please

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Chtheo

Reaction score
Hi,

Firstly very sorry this isn't going to be easy, mainly because my phone, and only camera, has packed up and i am a little way off of a replacement.

However, i have noticed somethign growing in my tank, and i wondered if from my description, someone may be able to help me id it, and help me deal with it?

Basically, it looks like a kind of root, it is a grey/green colour, and when i have pulled it out of the tank it feels very thick, like a thick cotton/fishing line. At fist it was growing on my javafern, so i left it at the thinking it was roots for the new fern-leaves (i know they propogate in a similar way but i have never seen it happen before) then i noticed it on some of my grass, and the backing and now on my dwarf baby tears. It seems to like plants, and backing, it stays clear of the redmoor driftwood i have.

Im doing my best to pull it out, it doesnt seem to grow very quickly, but i am growing concerned that fish may get caught up in it!

My nitrates, nitrites and amonia are all vitually non existant, and my ph is a steady 6.6, temp 26. I do have 2 24w T5s (1 daylight, 1 Plant Grow) and i fert once a week, Floraboost, and daily with ferropol.

Any help would be greatly recieved, and i shall try to source a camera asap!

Thanks,

Sounds like Staghorn which would be attributed to low co2 (or high light), although if you've got a problem with low Nitrates too it could be something else aswell.

Check this algae identification guide and see if you can identify it. :good:

spot on!

That is it exactly! i have had issues with my CO2 Recently (as you may see in the ferts section, because of these issues i have been given a CO2 kit by a very good friend)

Removal:
Check CO2 levels and make sure you have good water circulation. Reduce feeding, vacuum the substrate and remove mulm. Overdosing Flourish Excel usually helps.

I have (hopefully) got my CO2 sorted now, and its a 60-70l tank (60x30x36cm/24x12x15inc) with a 1100lph Canister filter goign full whack through a spray bar, so i think circulation should be ok. So, i will clean out what i can, and keep up with the ferts and get some or the good stuff in there!

I'll let you know hwo i get on, thanks again!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back