Algae Eater Compatible with Beta

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rdd1952

Swim with the Fishes
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I have a 2.5 gal tank with one male beta. I have 2 plants about 3" or 4" tall and am starting to get an algae problem. I don't want to put a cory in there since they are schoolers and are happier in groups. Any suggestions?

I don't think there is anything that really could go in there. Oto's prefer to be in groups and SAE's get too big for a 2.5G. I think a better option would be an interupted light cycle. While I have never done this, I understand that algae hates to have interupted light cycles. You'd set you timer for something like 4 on, 4 off, 6 on. Here is a post with more info on it.. This is probably the best way to control algae in a small tank that can't house most algae eaters. Alternatively you could try some algae eating shrimp, but they are expensive and may look apetizing to a betta...

Colin

The split light hasn't helped my 29 gal tank as I am having an algae problem there too, even with 4 corys and 2 otos. I have the light on that tank set to be on for 2 hours in the morning (6 - 8) and 4 hours (5 - 9) at night but the algae still grows. I'm probably not giving my plants enough light to grow but it doesn't seem to have hurt the algae. From the time we go to work in the morning till we come home you can see the change, mainly on the sand bottom, even though the light hasn't been on at all. It seems to grow just from the natural light in the room. I guess I need to set the on time to coincide with the daylight hours but hate to have in on when we're not home during the day and off in the evening when we're at home and want to watch the fish.

Of course since cories don't eat algae and you only have two little otos for a 29gal tank they are having little effect!

If the tanks are in direct light that might explain the growth.

Water parameters and nutrients may also cause problems.

Get a fast growing floating plant like hornwort to suck up the nutirents. Hornwort is recommended to combat algae and is unfussy about conditions. Both my tanks suffer from beard algae to some extent though, especially when they were new. My larger tank is relatively clear while the plants (even slow growing anubias) are growing like mad. A trim is coming up, but it suggests they are out-competing the algae.

I have my tank lights on between 9am and 2 pm then on 6pm till 11pm. This ensures enough light for the plants, enough viewing time for me and has helped to control brown and green algae.

As you can tell, I'm a beginner. I thought that corys were good algae eaters. All the otos seem to ever do is stay sucked onto the side of the tank. Something is eating the algae off the bottom of the tank at night though as a lot but definitely not all has always been cleaned up every morning. Unfortunately more grows back during the day. Also, the recommendations I have read said 1 oto per 10 gal. I had 3 but one died. The other 2 have been in there about 2 weeks.

I want to stay away from snails if at all possible but if that's the only option i may try it. I would prefer shrimp if there are any that are compatible with the beta.

The best algae eater for a planted tank is the twig catfish(farowella)
I have only one in my plated 55 gallon and it is sparkling..so clean in fact i have to feed him algae wafers! I have had a hard time finding them though....only one in the 3 years ive been looking. hes some info on them, worth checking out.....

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_algaeeaters.htm

what do you mean algae on the bottom of the tank ? do you have substrate ? cories eat food that has dropped to the bottom of the tank not fish poo or algae, ottos , cae , sae , will help but for usefullness and looks you cant go past a big pleco , if the tank looks clean feed them but otherwise dont worry about it

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back