Airstones

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

KentBlokey

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My Plants are going all droopy. They get 10-12 hours of light a day, feed, Sera co2. Since adding an air pump to the Tank they are drooping, and I think I read this isn't good for them, Is this true?

Airstones or any type of aeration i.e. high filter output agitating the surface will drive off available CO2, a valuable source of nutrients for the plants. Think of shaking a fizzy drink can, the gas (CO2) bubbles off immediately.

I would definitely remove your airstones if you want to grow plants.

I would think if you had enough plants, the oxygen from photosynthesis should be enough. My fish seem to be doing just fine w/out one.

Hi, It's 20uk Gallon Tank with...

(sorry don't have the common name)

2 Echinodorus bleheri (Paniculatus)
2 Hygrophila
Amazon sword and some cuttings from the bleheri.

They've been in there for a few months and were growing really well!

By droopy, I mean just that.
Though the Hygrophilis seems fine!

It's a Juwel Filter that doesn't give off a strong current.

The airstone wasn't put in for the purpose of the Fish, It was given to me so I just used it! I've now turned it off to see what effect his might have had!

Thanks for your help !!!!

sSords are heavy root feeders and should have fertilizer tabs/spikes added to the substrate. I used Jobes spikes- the one for Ferns&Palms are best, for Houseplants 2nd best. Don't know if they are available in the UK. gSubstrate ferts made for "aquarium use" are much pricier. They ferts should be inserted down to the bottom glass under the sword. push it in at an angle to minimize root damage. Dose about every 3 months.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back