air stones

One_Trick_Pony

Steals the show
Reaction score
hey guys i ave read much about airstoens on eher adn am woundering excelty waht they are and how they work etc?

cheers OTP

i got that far :p

how do they work? do the slowly dissolve or soemthing???

or are the coneeted to an external supply, ma same a dumd question, ut hey u don't ask u don;t get, and no questions is dumb if u don't know the answer i guess

No it actual is a stone with a bunch of small holes when hooked up to an air pump it lets bubbles go everywhere.

thanx frank

so how does that work sorry for being dumb!!!

an extra line running into the tank form an external pump?? are such things expensive to set up and are they need in a 15/16 gl (UK)

with a few plants in it as well if that makes a differec tho i know CO2 is the key for plants, butb teh plants also will oxygenate the water?

Airstones are pretty simple and inexpensive to set-up. Great for oxygenating water, circulates waste, and fish tend to like to play in the bubbles.

Basically you need these things:
-Airstone
-Vinyl/Plastic (or other comparable) tubing
-Check Valve
-Air pump

You basically cut the tubing into two pieces The end of one piece connects to your airstone, which you either bury in the gravel or you leave on top of it. The other end of that piece of tubing connects to your Check Valve, which in case of power outtages, will protect your air pump from having water flow back into it from the airstone's suction. You then take the second length of tubing and connect it to the other side of the check valve and run it to your airpump. Plug the pump in and enjoy the bubbles.

Depending on the size/number of airstones, and the size of the pump, you may want to invest in a air control/regulator valve which allows you to control the amount of air you have going to your airstone.

I'm running a Jetstream 1500 Airpump with a single 3" Airstone, no regulator, and it works great.

EDIT: this is in a 20ish US Gal tank. It cost me $15 CAD.

My setup cost me $40 american. I want for what was the queitest in my friend opinon and it has been and its a nice air pump. You dont really need a valve.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back