Air Stone and Pump Question??

MBfan465

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have had a 5 gal. Eclipse Hex tank for about a week now, and am currently in the cycling phase. Anyways, I have a filter w/ a Bio wheel, but I do not have an air stone setup in the gravel. Do you guys recommend an air stone, or not? I also know that I have to buy another pump to supply the air for the air stone, and was actually given one yesterday by a friend, but it is meant for a 10-15 gal. tank. Can I still use this pump, or should I purchase one that is made for my size tank? Any help is appreciated, and thanks for your time. :D

Im not sure what type of filter u have because im not familiar with many. But if there is a hole at the top of the outlet hole for another piece of tube, thats for the airline. If you can fit an airline to it, that would make more sense to me rather than using a pump and an airstone. But im thinkin your filter may be different, so wait and see what others have too say.

That pump should work fine for your size tank. Just as long as it does the job!

You dont need an airstone. I use to have the Hex 5 gallon from marineland, its a nice tank. The bio wheel creats the oxygen needed by the fish so no need for an air stone. But if you want to use it your tank will be fine. My air pump is made for 30 gallons and I use it for my 20 gallon.

I've got one of those Eclipse 5 gallon hex tanks. What are you planning on keeping in it? The filter in them doesn't really create much of any surface agitation which is fine if you have a betta in it. I use mine frequently as a maternity tank for my swordtails and when it's not the maternity ward I let one of my bettas have it. When I have a swordtail in it I add an air pump and air stone and then take it out when I put a betta in it.

I keep two Blue Platies in my 5 gal hex. I will probably get an air stone now, even though I enjoy how quiet it is currently. Thank you guys for your input and advice. :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back