Air Pumps?

piranha_tim

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Air Pumps?

Would you recommend them. I have a Mechanical filter which already moves water.

Would it make a difference to the quality of life for the fish?

Air Pumps?

Would you recommend them. I have a Mechanical filter which already moves water.

Would it make a difference to the quality of life for the fish?

Depends on your view !

Air get into the water by surface movement not the actual bubbles.

Oxygen is a must with all fish especially large predatory species, so you'll find most people on here have either and air pump or your venturi devices on their filters to get that into the water.

you'll find most people on here have either and air pump or your venturi devices on their filters to get that into the water.
Or, they will just have filter outlets that cause surface agitation...

^^ This is what I have ...

I have been told they are good for bringing down ph levels.

And reading the article above on piranha care ... they like high levels of oxygen

I have been told they are good for bringing down ph levels.

They most likely do nothing to the pH level. By increasing surface agitation you can allow CO2 (which can depress pH levels) to be gassed off more effectively, but in reality you are not going to notice the difference if you already have surface agitation from the filter.

And reading the article above on piranha care ... they like high levels of oxygen

Then make sure you have plenty of agitation at the surface, that is all you need.

Honestly, I don't think you don't NEED airstones or surface agitation. In the wild RBPs live in stagnant pools which don't really have much dissolved oxygen at all. I would think you would be fine with not having the too much surface agitation. Also, I have my sanchezi in a 29g planted tank with pretty much no surface disturbance whatsoever. He seems fine. No heavy breathing or anything.

Ryan

Most reactions

Back