Ai discussion

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

I Like Rare Fish

Fish Herder
2x Pet of the Month šŸŽ–ļø
Reaction score
Iā€™m not sure if a thread about this has been made, but letā€™s hear some discussion about Ai. I personally donā€™t like it. I believe it is advancing way too quickly, and itā€™s freaky to think about what potentially Ai could do to harm us. Ai will be smarter than any humanā€¦it wonā€™t have that grit or experience, but itā€™ll come pretty damn close. Thoughts?

I seem to recall that there was a previous thread concerning this but ages ago.

AI really isn't in existence. AI is not 'smart' but rather just a bunch of conditional programming statements. For instance let's say that you ask a question such as "what are the primary colors". Starting with an empty data base of answers the AI would have no answer and would request the correct answer which would be red, blue and yellow. This answer would be then added to the data base and the next time asked the AI would return this result. This is a simple AI but still is a form of AI such as I wrote way back in the 1980s.

The above would be to some like the AI is learning but it really isn't as it is just a system of using what are call if/then statements which boil down to if there is an answer in the data base then the result is true but false if nothing in the data base matches. If the result is true the answer is displayed. If false more information is requested.

Now let's say that multiple responses are possible such as in the question, "furry animal with a tail". First time asked the AI would not know and request an answer.and let's say we respond with dog. Next time asked the AI would come back with dog as the answer but what if we were looking for cat? The AI would have the ability to refine the information to which we might respond with something like "furry animal with a tail and retractable claws". Now if asked "furry animal with a tail" a properly programmed AI would then ask if this animal has retractable claws. If your response is yes then if would answer with cat but if you answer no it would respond with dog. Of course this keeps getting deeper and deeper as to possible resulting answers but it is still not intelligence but, rather a a whole bunch of conditional statements in the programming which leads to the correct answer.

AI mimics intelligence and that word, mimics, is the key. AI mimics intelligence but is not actually intelligent. It just responds according to programmed inputs with matching outputs.

Can AI be dangerous? Of course it can but the danger would have to be intentional by the programmers. Say that AI was given control of the United States defense measures as to launching nukes and a programmer entered the condition of an unidentified plane with the programmed response being to launch a nuke. The nuke would be launched so, yes, it can be dangerous but I don't think it will happen within at least a hundred years, probably much longer, as humans are too egotistical to give up hands on control of such things.

Am I qualified to make such a bold post? Possibly not as I have no degrees or anything but, being totally self taught, I DO have 5 awards from Microsoft and was invited to the 2008 Microsoft Global Summit. Stopped getting Awards from Microsoft when I shut down my computer business in 2009.

Even the geniuses of our time are terrified of AI, so much so that they're building rockets to escape to Mars...

Even the geniuses of our time are terrified of AI, so much so that they're building rockets to escape to Mars...
LOL! That's cute but even optimistic projections estimate a Mars colony no closer than 25 years from now and that such a colony would be dependent on supplies sent from Earth.

As to IQ ratings I'm actually rated as genius level at a little over 180. The so called 'smarties' of today are not afraid of AI. They are afraid of the people building it and that is a fair fear. Regardless of the sophistication AI is still just a computer program. It is the humans that are building AI systems that need to be feared, not AI itself.

AI is yet another system that will bring sameness. It's designed to mine learning and mimic it, and it will probably produce more blandness all around.

It's a tool, and tools belong to their owners. What it becomes will depend on who owns it, and how it's used will depend on how the wealthy and powerful decide to use it. Given their track record, they'll use it for largely for their benefit. It will have applications that'll be of use to the average citizen, but it looks to me as another tool in the power dynamics of our world.

A few writers I know have discovered their work has been fed into the blender without their permission already, and they won't be drawing earnings from their creative hard work there. To me, it's a bleak trend in a world of Marvel, Disney and fast food. But it's here, and it is going to be necessary for us to learn how to work within it.

unfortunately I suspect the biggest advances will take place in the Military use areas... & that should scare everyone, code hackers & "things" that would take the place of humans on the battlefield... thinking "Terminator" here... if you consider the ugliness & risk to human life of inner city battles ( like GAZA strip or Ukraine ) a better remote "battle unit" just seems like something governments would spend money on... fortunately, they can't make themselves yet, but it doesn't take a huge imagination when you see the automation in manufacturing...

I mean, Boston Dynamics products are enough to scare anyone

We have used AI at work for a number of years now, but mostly simpler models, not the deep language models like ChatGPT. We use it for classification purposes on vision and range datasets primarily for problems that have difficult to develop algorithmic approaches. AI has made our classification of certain features in an image much easier in some cases but it comes at a cost. The first cost is that we need a separate GPU for each "feature" we try to classify, this drives up the cost of a system significantly with the GPUs now accounting for 80% or more to the cost of the system. The second cost is that the AI versions of feature detection take far more computing power than the straight algorithmic approaches, this takes additional time and power and with the problems we are trying to solve time is a limited commodity. The final cost is the cost of training the AI, we hire skilled people to classify the features in our image datasets, it is a very mentally difficult and tedious job and finding people appropriate to do this work is difficult.

The large public accessible AIs that most people are talking about now have similar issues. They required high end computing equipment to process the input data, this uses both a large number of material resources but also a lot of power. And all these models need to be trained as well. In the case of the public models they are primarily based on data from the web, and as others have mentioned, this means they are almost guaranteed to be using data without permission or accredited to the persons who created the original data.

The various AI models need to be considered a tool. They can be useful in some circumstances, they are quite good at classifying, but in terms of creative content they are creating content that appeals to the masses of internet users based on statistical approaches. The AI's creative content can make links or associations that have not been considered by humans, but they really cannot create, they only have a collective back history, they are not trying to tell a story, they are just feeding back what it was told is appropriate by vast numbers of people. They also do not handle novel situations well, and they can be "biased" easily, both situations are difficult to control.

My expectation is that we will see AI's use expand greatly over the next bit as large companies with deep pockets look to develop business models from them. This will lead to a "Blanding?", Vanillalization, of content in the future, leading to people specifically looking for human created content. I also see it being incorporated into a number of industries, some which will improve with its use and others failing miserably. In the end we are in hype stage of this technology, in the more distance future I still see it being used extensively, but market forces will limit its use to areas it makes sense to use. I hope it doesn't take over the "human" aspects of our life, if we let it, I believe our lives will become a lot smaller and less significant.

This is what Chat GPT says about AI when Queried.

I don't have personal opinions or feelings because I am just a computer program created by humans. However, I can provide information about artificial intelligence (AI).

AI is a field of computer science that aims to create machines or software that can perform tasks that typically require human intelligence, such as visual perception, speech recognition, decision-making, and language translation. AI has the potential to bring about significant advancements in various sectors, including healthcare, transportation, finance, and entertainment.

There are both optimistic and pessimistic views about AI. Optimists believe that AI has the potential to solve complex problems, improve efficiency, and enhance our lives in numerous ways. Pessimists, on the other hand, are concerned about the ethical implications of AI, such as privacy issues, job displacement, and the potential misuse of AI technologies.

Ultimately, how AI is developed and used will depend on the decisions made by society, policymakers, and researchers. Ethical considerations, transparency, and responsible AI development are crucial to ensuring that AI benefits humanity as a whole.

I remember how excited I was, typing in DOS commands and seeing the internet, with no images. Then images started to appear, and it seemed like we might have a tool to open the world and result in a great sharing of knowledge.

It was very quickly commercialized, controlled and monetized, and the dream hit a wall, or maybe a wall street. So when I see technology like AI, I expect pretty well the same thing. Those who can afford to control it will, and those who can't will be fed trash. I look at the feed Bing creates on this laptop to try to entice me to use it, and it's all royals, celebrities and trivia - pretty sad stuff to waste time looking at. Spotify finds me music to shop by, no matter how many times I use it to input the names of interesting artists. AI should be useful for developing and deepening that blandness at the consumer level.

t will be useful in medicine, and in some services to the average person. It will be very important, and may be a driver in the economy.

I see it as an intellectual Petco (or name your national chain). Fewer ' species' available, less creative equipment, and enormous profits. Chat GP would call me a pessimist.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back