Agressive/territorial Peppermint Shrimp?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

bumper55

Reaction score
Hello everyone! After getting my Starry Blenny, Luna, recently, I decided to pick up 3 peppermint shrimp(.5-1 inch each) since they were on sale and I figured it couldn't hurt. When I got home, I acclimated them and put them in the tank. After the first hour, two had paired off and killed the third one. They live INSIDE(there are little tunnels) one of the larger pieces of live rock, and anything that comes near is attacked, except for Luna. They've killed 2 Hermits, and scared off everything else. Today I got a 1.5-2 inch Black Ocellaris Clown, and it swam near the rock, and both came out and waved their pincers at it! Is this normal behavior, and should I worry about it? I know for sure they are peppermints.

In addition to the question in the post above mine, how sure are you that they're true Peppermints? The behavior sounds a lot like camel shrimp, which are sometimes sold under the wrong name.

I've seen them both quite clearly a few times, and they don't have the swirly pattern of camel shrimp. Just straight red stripes(sort of) either way, they look extremely similar to other Peppermint shrimp. And I saw them kill one. One of the smallest hermit crabs was picking at algae when the larger shrimp came out and attacked the hermit(kinda hard to describe) and eventually dragged the hermit into the cave-ish area in the Live Rock. The empty shell was seen outside of it the following day. The second one I found dead but I assume it was the shrimp since it was near their area and they had already killed one. All snails and hermit crabs avoid that place like the plague now.

They may just be very hungry, try giving them some food near their "den". Mine would come out and eat out of my hands.

They could be Dancing Shrimp... They look a bit like Peppermint Shrimp, Peppermint Shrimp aren't generally aggressive and don't have huge pincers which Dancing shrimp are and do...

Peppermint - http://reefchronicle.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Peppermint-Shrimp.jpg

Dancing - http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3538/3367320006_05f8fde520.jpg

I'll check again... Yet aren't as aggressive anymore. I gave them some Krill and they shared it until there was nothing left. They also eat the flake food I bought, but that's about it. Only Luna is allowed in their "den", but they won't kill or attack anything that comes near it anymore. And after one went for the clown and got one of its antenna ripped off, they leave the Clown alone. Hopefully they won't bother the Pistol/Goby once I get them.

bumper55 said:
I'll check again... Yet aren't as aggressive anymore. I gave them some Krill and they shared it until there was nothing left. They also eat the flake food I bought, but that's about it. Only Luna is allowed in their "den", but they won't kill or attack anything that comes near it anymore. And after one went for the clown and got one of its antenna ripped off, they leave the Clown alone. Hopefully they won't bother the Pistol/Goby once I get them.

Did you get a proper look at them?

I've been hand feeding them(krill and bloodworms, and occasionally seaweed) and I get a pretty good look at them. I'm fairly confident that they are indeed Peppermints. I got a second clown recently, and since then they have backed off significantly. Even from the Hermit Crabs. Hopefully all will be peaceful.

bumper55 said:
I've been hand feeding them(krill and bloodworms, and occasionally seaweed) and I get a pretty good look at them. I'm fairly confident that they are indeed Peppermints. I got a second clown recently, and since then they have backed off significantly. Even from the Hermit Crabs. Hopefully all will be peaceful.

Hopefully :)

Most reactions

Back