Advice On Suspected Algae Problem?

sloth1984

Reaction score
Hello Hello,

I have this algae which has started growing (see beautiful pics below).

algae1.jpg

algae2.jpg

It only appears to be growing on the plants and has been there for just over a week.
I've looked through a lot of algae posts on here and reckon it's either Black Beard Algae or Bottle Brush Algae, would i be right in assuming it is one of these two?

I've changed my lighting schedule to 4 hours on, 4 off, 4 on and will it help by increasing the regularity of my water changes to maybe 3 or 4 times a week?

Anyone got any other ideas?

Thanks for help in advance.

p.s. all my water stats are normal if it helps you in anyway

Apologies if the pics are too big or won't load for some people

oh poor you. That is ugly :(

looks like black brush algae to me.

Have a gander at this thread started by Zig who is also suffering from this algae. He's been testing out the effects of flourish excel on bba.

Do inject CO2 into the tank? Have any other algae?

thanks for your quick reply :D

No I don't inject any CO2 into the tank and i don't have any other algae.

I had read Zigs thread and found it very useful but I was hoping that I might be able to catch it early enough (as the growth is minimal at the moment) to sort it out without having to use any chemicals.

I think i might monitor it for week, see if there is any change by changing my lighting and water changes, if not it looks like i'll be copying Zig.

OK, well Zig is more the expert at these matters. But it may help if you can tell us more info...

How often and how much water changes you do?
Do you have a phosphate test kit? if so what are your phosphates?
What lighting schedule did you have before you changed to 4-4-4
Nitrate levels?
Type of lighting?

Here is more info.

I do a 25% water change once a week, this always keeps my tank clean and have never had any problems.
Unfortunately I don't have a phosphate test kit so can't say on phosphate levels.
My lighting was on for 17 hours straight (I know that this probably hasn't helped and could be the main problem, I just wanted me plants to grow lots :D )
Nitrates are at about 25ppm.
Lighting is just what came with the aquarium (I think it's 2x30W) and I then added a reflector to each tube.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back