ADF's in with others?

OrkyBetta

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Does the one inch of fish per gallon rule apply to things like frogs? My tank is completely stocked, (10 gallon, 6 neons, 2 guppies) but would it be OK to put my african dwarfie in with the others?

I think that the rule still applies for the frogs as well

well, all of the fish in my tank are probably one inch if not a little smaller. They are all adults. 8 one inch fish in 10 gallons, i guess my question is more of a compatability question, would the frog be ok with these fish?

I don't see why not. These are very nice fish and the frog barely moves. The only fish i'd be concerned with adding the with is a betta, but they don't mind them, either.

I have two dwarf frogs in with some platies and some loaches. They don't bother each other at all. In fact, every now and then, the two frogs get into a fight over some food and one of the loaches appears out of nowhere and breaks it up.

I do know however that many keepers of ADFs believe they should not be kept with fish for several reasons. One is ADFs apparently don't like a strong water current (from an HOB, airstone, etc), while fish do. The other is, I suppose, that they have to battle the fish for food (they are much slower than most fish to be aware when food arrives in the tank).

I have had my frogs for about six months though and they appear to be thriving. I make sure I see them eat every other day. If they seem like they have missed out, I use a turkey baster to suck up some food and place it right in front of them, while I distract the fish with other nibbles elsewhere in the tank. I also have some (plastic) baby-fry hideout grass turned upside down and floating in the tank, and the frogs love to swim up into the center and nestle there--which is a great place to feed them (just make sure your tank is covered!).

I hope this is of some help to you... You might also consult the amphibians forum, as they are the true experts! Good luck!

Most reactions

Back