adding new fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ravyc123

Reaction score
When you put a new fish in a quarantine tank,1. How long do you suggest to put it in there for? 2.How do you if your fish is good to put with the other fishes? 3. How do you see if your fish is diseased or not? Thanks in advanced

The length of time people put fish in a quarantine tank varies depending on their level of paranoia. Some have fish in them for as little as a few days, while others have them in for as much as three weeks.

I think that generally one week is a good amount of time.

In this week, if the fish is sick, it should show signs of illness. You can look at the disease section to determine signs you should be looking for.

Also, some people treat their fish proactively while in the quarantine tank. They use a broad spectrum fish medication that treats common parasites and fungus at the same time.

I must be paranoid, i quar for 4 weeks. Sometimes fish take a little longer to show signs of illness, plus you don't know what they have been in contact with before you got them. Some fish can live with different diseases they have been in contact with, having built up a sort of immunity, while still being carriers. More sensitive fish are prone to this,such as discus & altum angels.

Wild caught fish can live with things & be carriers, many discus breeders who get new fish in will take a couple of their larger, not so great looking fry, and put them in the quar tank to see how they do.

The proactive medication is also done with wild caught fish.

Tolak

Hi..agree with Tolak..many recommend a minimum of two weeks and a maximum of up to even 6 weeks. When you get a nicely going aquarium with lots of great fish, it will be heartache to see ich start after introducing a new fish without quarantining. SH

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back