About to give up !

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Mike click the link and read some of the articles. I haven't been through them all but one or two might help.Link

Just a quick reply !

Thanks to all for still being interested.

Can't answer you questions at the moment I'm on a ferry in Hong Kong harbour.

Answer them as soon as I get back.

Regards

Mike.....

Some people have all the luck. :p
I'll take the Fake Rolex Oyster watch and 15 Gucci ones. :laugh:

Well back in the Uk again at last !.

Thanks for the link "adeyc".

I read most of the articles on this stuff and its exactly what happens in my tank.

You hoover up all the thick green carpet of gunge only to find it comes back faster and stronger. Interesting to find out that its bacteria and not algae though.

The only sad thing was the treatment. All the articles said that switching lights off and water changes did no good and the only remedy was some stuff called "ERYTHROMYCIN" whatever that is. It sounds worse than the green gunge. Anyway thats the stuff that kills it and it would appear to be harmless to plants, fish and the filter bacteria.

All I have to do now is find some of this stuff ?.

If I do I will let you know the results.

Regards

Mike...................

"ERYTHROMYCIN" is a penecilin based antibiotic you can but it in packages but it's better to get the loose stuff from your LFS. just let them no the size of the tank and they should give you the right dose. Check with you're species of catfish though as some bon't do to well with certain meds like the soft skinned fish (clown loaches)and sharks. It may be best to take the cats out while you medicate the tank. hte rest of your fish should be ok.

Glad to have been of help.

If you pick up some Maracyn that has what you are looking for in it.  Maracyn is a fish med and should be easy to locate.  

If you can't find it there go to
Drs. Foster and Smith(this is a mail order pet supply company.) On the left hand side of the page there will be a place that say "ordering from our catalog" put in this code CH 8050. This is the order code for 250mg Erythromycin (60 capsules) for $20 American. Last time I checked they did ship over seas.

Hope this helps. Rose 8)

Just a quick post to say that I think I have found the answer to my problem.

Having spent most of my time since asking for help on this forum I have been in some god forsaken third world country that seems intent on self destruction.

Anyway on my brief visits home a little man in a tropical fish shop suggested I try a product that is really for ponds. I won't say too much about it being a success because it is early days yet but I will keep you all informed as to the long term results. (I also forgot the name of the product) Well I did an 80% water change and added this little product to the water. I left the lights out for two days and then off again to rot in the jungle. On my return I was greeted with a pure clean tank !. All the green slime had gone. Fantastic sight it was seeing a clean tank again after all this time. As far as I am aware the only drawback is that this stuff kills plants so all the plants have to be removed before treatment. In my case this was not a problem because they were all covered in green slime. My fish are happy and my tank is clean. This weekend I am going to stock the tank with plants again if it is still clean when I get home.

I will try to remember the name of the product as well.

:love:

Glad to hear the slime's gone Mike. If it's pond stuff check the ingredients and post them please. Chances are you can probably get the same thing for tanks but under a different name. I'm thinking it might have copper in it as I remember reading about pond slime and it was a copper based compound that was suggested to clear it. If it is keep an eye on you're fish (when you can) as copper is not a healthy thing to add to a fish tank.

I gave up after 6 months in these third world places. They're ok for a quick visit/buisiness trip but thats it. To d##n dangerous for my liking. And thats just the natives, i'm not even mentioning the Flora and Fauna.

Mike,
EEK Algae sucks huh?
Here a quick solution. Take of all of you plants out of the tank and put them in a container with water and put near a light source. With your plants taking care of. Turn off all lights in your tank and cover the whole thing with a blanket for a week. Your fish will be fine and you can feed them at night. Make sure you keep all filters and heaters on. you will find that the lack of light will kill the algae quicky. Do a 50% water change and keep lighting subdued or on for limited time.

Most reactions

Back