A really good video

He's right, those views look more like a carefully planned and maintained aquascape than a real habitat. I really appreciate the detailed descriptions of microhabitats and their inhabitants. I'll always be incredibly grateful for people like this, who obviously have spent many, many hours observing these habitats. We're lucky a few of those people decide to make such a detailed, informative, and beautiful videos like this one.

It looks like Below Water is an imaging company based in Montreal and while it's clear that their people have a very in-depth knowledge of the places they film at, I would also be interested to hear from locals who live by and work on the river about their experiences. It's one thing to travel and spend a few weeks every year observing a habitat, it's another to work on the river ever single day. The locals might not know everything about all the species described here, but I find local knowledge to be really insightful and I find that I learn a lot more than I expect from it.

Pretty much all of the plecos I have bred come from the Volta Grande (Big Bend) of the Rio Xingu. That habitat and the one pictured above almost look as if they are different planets.

Below Water is basically one person's labour of love - Oliver Lucanus. For the book and a lot of the video work, he works with Leandro Sousa, a Brazilian researcher, but Leandro has his own things going on.
Oliver's a good friend, so we have spoken about that local knowledge along the river. He speaks Portuguese and Spanish, but they don't speak English. It's beyond the resources of one person working alone to do translated videos with local voices and experience.

As well, I'd add that with the history of intimidation and at times murder of conservationists in the region, it might not be wise for locals to go on the record, on camera. That can be better looked at in the books and articles, where sources can get better protection (names changed for protection,etc). The government in Brazil has changed, but the economic powers are the same.

Most reactions

trending

Back