A few questions

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

murphio

Reaction score
Hi there folks.
Ive read the link on cycling the tank without fish - unfortunately it is a little late for that now. As with most new beginners - ive kinda dived in head first. I took the advice in the lfs and put two black mollys in the tank to begin with. He said that they would help to decontaminate the tank. Is this kind of the same process that the fishless cycling does?

Anyway, they were in there for a week and then we added about 10 more, including some neons, a clown loach, an alge eating catfish, a yellow gourami. Then we added some more neons, another catfish, a siamese fighter....a pretty wide assortment and everything seemed to be going well.

However, the other evening I retrieved four dead neons in quick succession which were disposed off. I only have three left meaning there was probably six unaccounted for. They dont seem to be in the tank....obviously they have been eaten. What are the implications for the tank with dead fish and what can I do about it?

The yellow gourami seemed to be the only fish that was interested in eating the dead neons - so I assumed it killed them. Is this likely to be the case? I got rid of him because he seemed very aggressive, especially towards the siamese fighter. But since then, a black molly has died along with another neon, I think I may have blamed the wrong party. Are neons vunerable to anything in particular and why would they die in quickfire succession if not from attack?

After some help from a poster today, Im am reluctant to change the water until I can get it de-clorinated - how do I do this? What is the best product in terms of testing for nitrite levels, ph levels etc.

Im definetly not adding more fish but other than this - im not sure what to do next. I wasnt aware, and was perhaps a bit niave, just what this hobby entailed but id love one day to come on here and have the knowledge to give a new poster like myself some sound advice.

Cheers in advance of your help
Nick

Ok lets start at the beginning..The first thing is mollys as far as I am aware don't decontaminate anything. They swin eat and produce waste just like any other fish. I believe although I have never personally owed a molly that they are quite hardy so maybe thats why they were suggested as good starter fish. The others such as the Clown Loach, Catfish and Neons should never be put in a newly set up tank as all need a good enviroment (a cycled tank) or they will die which is what you are finding out the hard way. Dead fish in the water.

My first peice of advice is to take these fish back until your tank is able to support them and stop buying anymore fish till you tank is cycled.

Tap water contains two addatives chlorine and chloramine ...both of these are dangerous to tropical fish. To get rid of chlorine and chloramine you will need a bottle of declorinator which you can get from any LFS. All you do is add some of the declorinator to the tap water as stated on the bottle.

Your first step is to get the declorinator and then I would suggest doing a 50% water change (trying to find any dead bodies) and invest in test kits for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate as a minimum.

How big is the new tank and are you aware that clowns can grow very large?

Keep us updated with your progress and we will help you get it right.

Hi, what u need to do is first of all get a WATER TESTING KIT, aquarium pharmacheuticals do a great one. this measures your water conditions. You need to know what your AMMONIA, NITRITE AND NITRATE are sitting at. These readings are part of the cycle, the cycle which happens is called the nitrogen cycle, the ammonia which is toxic in high levels is produced by the fishies waste and accumilating food left over. the ammonia then turns to nitrites which are also toxic for fish as it eats away at their gills, scales etc. the nitrties then turn to nitrates which are always present in an aquarium however should not be in high levels, the water testing kit gives you a guide as to what the levels should be. When an aquarium is first set up, there is no beneficial bacteria which grows eventually in the tank, so what you need to do is help this along by getting SAFE WATER which has the natural bacteria in it, are you from the uk? if so king british do this product available in most pet stores.

DECHLORINATION. water from the tap contains chlorine and chloramine, these need to be removed and this is done by getting a product called SAFE GUARD also by king british. This is added every time a water change is done. it makes the water safe for the fish. When you put the tap water into a bucket it is advisable to add the SAFE GUARD then.

How much gallons is your tank? Also you need to know the PH of your water as different fish need different PH however they can adapt when you have good water conditions.

Also when adding fish you need to add then gradually over a period of weeks and months. as you will over load your filter. The bacteria grows in the filter on the pads. hope this helps.

Thanks for the repies guys. My tank is a trigon 190 (190 litres). Il do my best to follow the advice given thus far. Amazing how little the guys in the LFS seem to know (or want to tell you).

Incidentally...im in Belfast.

yeah the people in lfs's really dont have a clue, i never ask them for advice any more. research and this forum seems to be the best method. If u need any more advice pm me.

Most reactions

Back