8 Days In And Still High Ammonia

Filth86

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So as the title says I am now 8 days in to fish less cycle and ammonia is still around 3 ppm and nitrite 2 ppm . I have live plants and have a number of snails crawling around. I guess the snails are adding to the ammonia but unsure what's best to do. Water change or will that slow it down?

By the way it's a 60l

Yes the snails' waste (they produce a lot!!) could be adding to the ammonia but what are they doing in there? Hitch-hikers on the plants? Not a good idea to have livestock in high ammonia levels regardless of whether they were invited or not. Also they are confusing your test results. 

You could remove the snails and see what happens in a day or 2. The fact that you have some nitrite means some ammonia is being converted. The plants will be using up some of the ammonia too so the fact that it is still 3 ppm indicates it would have been much higher without the planting.

Because in effect you have been adding more ammonia (in the guise of snail waste), you may find that the nitrite level goes beyond what is healthy during a cycle and you might have to consider doing diluted testing with R.O water or D.I. water to find out just how much you have as most test kits don't go much higher than 5 ppm.

Might be worth cutting your losses by getting rid of the snails and starting again now. The fact that you have some ammonia munchers already will give you a kick-start if you do decide to start over.

Hitchhikers. There's quite a few and are very small so hard to find. This forum advised leaving them in

Would that be the Snail! thread? I believe that the OP for that particular thread didn't appear to be having ammonia problems like you are.
I can only say that if my cycle wasn't going to plan I'd seriously think about removing the most likely cause if you are following the cycle article to the letter.
However you must chose which advice to follow and which to ignore. 

What is your PH and hardness in there ?

Soft acidic water with little buffers can crash and stall easily during a fish less cycle as I found out when doing mine.
Water change shouldn't slow anything down, certainly didn't with mine at least.

Most reactions

Back