42 Gallon Tank,which Amphibians?

furry catfish

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi everyone.I have a 42 gallon tank with a couple of fish in but im begining to get bored with fish so I was wondering what my stocking option are in terms of amphibians (not axolotls or cynops orientalis as I already have them)

thanks

Hi everyone.I have a 42 gallon tank with a couple of fish in but im begining to get bored with fish so I was wondering what my stocking option are in terms of amphibians (not axolotls or cynops orientalis as I already have them)

thanks

3-4 Paddletail Newts maybe or Xenopus frogs?

but if your discounting fish then tbh with a tank that size I would go for a pair of Musks Turtles ( and yes i realise they are reptiles :p )

you could have a really nice colony of African Clawed Frogs - - whether x.laevis, x.borealis or x.tropicalis.

None of these species can be kept with fish!!! Best kept in species only tanks!!!

X.Laevis are the common ACF you find in petstores - most often in the natural or albino variety. In a 42 gallon you could easily have 6-8 depending on the power of your filter and the foot print.

X.Borealis are a smaller ACF that can be obtained through private breeders. A smaller frog that has a grayish body with spotting and a blue hue to it in the light, underside is yellowish with gray/purple spotting. You could have 10-12 in a 42 depending on filtration and foot print.

X.Tropicalis is another smaller ACF that can be obtained through private breeders. A small frog that has a silver/gray body and tiny silver eyes. You could have 10-14 in a 42 depending on filtration and foot print.

X.Laevis - here is a good example of different colorations available.
IMG_20110114_093835.jpg

X.Borealis
024-3.jpg

030.jpg

X.Tropicalis
011-15.jpg

009-13.jpg

thanks

3-4 Paddletail Newts maybe or Xenopus frogs?

but if your discounting fish then tbh with a tank that size I would go for a pair of Musks Turtles ( and yes i realise they are reptiles :p )
the turtles actually look pretty cool and I was thinking of getting turtles in that tank before i put the fish in but my budget is like £50-60 so I don't really have the money for any reptiles.But paddle tails seem good

you could have a really nice colony of African Clawed Frogs - - whether x.laevis, x.borealis or x.tropicalis.

None of these species can be kept with fish!!! Best kept in species only tanks!!!

X.Laevis are the common ACF you find in petstores - most often in the natural or albino variety. In a 42 gallon you could easily have 6-8 depending on the power of your filter and the foot print.

X.Borealis are a smaller ACF that can be obtained through private breeders. A smaller frog that has a grayish body with spotting and a blue hue to it in the light, underside is yellowish with gray/purple spotting. You could have 10-12 in a 42 depending on filtration and foot print.

X.Tropicalis is another smaller ACF that can be obtained through private breeders. A small frog that has a silver/gray body and tiny silver eyes. You could have 10-14 in a 42 depending on filtration and foot print.
I am currently getting adfs in another tank so I'd prefer not to have them but acf's look like they would be good in the tank I have.

thanks for the comments guys

Most reactions

Back