4 foot tank question...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Aj86

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have a 4 foot 55g planted discus aquarium and i dont think i have enought lighting... I can only fit 2 4 foot 40W tubes on the tank... I have 3 amazon swords, java moss and twisted val in there Do you think i need more light? If so how can i fit more on it?

Your light gives approx. 1.5 Watts per Gallon which is fine with your plants. If you add more lighting then you will need to inject CO2 and add more fast growing species, otherwise algae will grow more than the plants. I would stick with your current lighting, perhaps upgrade the tubes and add reflectors if you don't use them already. As a side point; Twisted Vallis prefers hard water (it requires the dissolved bi-carbonates), something which Discus do not.

gf225 said:
Your light gives approx. 1.5 Watts per Gallon which is fine with your plants. If you add more lighting then you will need to inject CO2 and add more fast growing species, otherwise algae will grow more than the plants. I would stick with your current lighting, perhaps upgrade the tubes and add reflectors if you don't use them already. As a side point; Twisted Vallis prefers hard water (it requires the dissolved bi-carbonates), something which Discus do not.
I am having that problem at the moment gf i have algae covering everything in my tank Except the plants apart from my java moss which is covered in it also...

I have reflectors on my lights and i have just got my water tested today and everything was fine... is it that my plants not growing fast enough thats causing all the agae?

Is your tank new? If it is I think a lot of people go through an algae phase. If not I would try hornwort it grows really fast even in my 10 gallon which on has a 15W bulb over it. It could also mean you have high nitrates and/or phosphates I suppose.

Aj86 said:
I am having that problem at the moment gf i have algae covering everything in my tank Except the plants apart from my java moss which is covered in it also...

I have reflectors on my lights and i have just got my water tested today and everything was fine... is it that my plants not growing fast enough thats causing all the agae?
This link might help.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=60010

StarOrbs said:
Is your tank new? If it is I think a lot of people go through an algae phase. If not I would try hornwort it grows really fast even in my 10 gallon which on has a 15W bulb over it. It could also mean you have high nitrates and/or phosphates I suppose.
My nitrates and phosphates are fine... Well he said that my nitrates were a little high but he said not high enough to cause all that algae...

gf225 said:
Aj86 said:

This link might help.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=60010
Thanx gf that link helped alot! Im going try some of the things suggested! :D Would floating water sprite be a good fast grower? Would it be ok in a discus tank?

I'd think so, yes... Floating plants are great in that they can absorb a lot of nutrients from the water, and I'm sure your discus will appreciate the shade. However, make sure it doesn't prevent light from reaching the bottom of the tank or other areas where there are plants. Good luck.

Thanx disc! Well ive started to take action! Ive set my timers for 2 hours on then 4 off and 4 on again and added some floating watersprite... Hopefully this will help it out! Im also going to go scout some aquariums for a big pleco to help out too... Thanx again guys! *fingers crossed*

Generally excess phosphate is the problem. The best phosphate remover is duckweed. Duckweed consumes far more phosphate than any other plant; it provides excellent alage control. It can also coexist with normal plants if you have good water circulation; if it's constantly moving around it will only shade plants temporarily.

Yenko said:
Generally excess phosphate is the problem. The best phosphate remover is duckweed. Duckweed consumes far more phosphate than any other plant; it provides excellent alage control. It can also coexist with normal plants if you have good water circulation; if it's constantly moving around it will only shade plants temporarily.
i had my water tested for phosphates and they sid it was zero as well... :/

I'm not saying you HAVE phosphate problems, I'm just saying that duckweed is a good preventative measure for phosphate. I see phosphate problems as inevitable; plants take up Nitrates much faster than they do phosphates, so without frequent water changes (Which plants dislike and fish can do without if water conditions are good) phosphates will build up. In my opinion, you should add hygrophilia to your tank as well as duckweed; both plants are excellent alage controllers. Your discus won't like the bicarbonates the vallis require; I'd remove them unless they are doing well.

Edit: I mean remove the vallis not the discus.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back