3ft coldwater tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

alnat

Reaction score
I am new to this hobby and would appreciate some advice about what fish I can keep. I have a 3ft tank with Fluval 3 filter.

I started with two small orandas a couple of weeks ago. Everything seems to be going well, tests all OK, so today I've added a couple of hillstream loaches (local store called them Butterfly Plecs but I think from reading other info that they were maybe wrong).

I would also like to add a few other small fish and I've seen posts about zebra/leopard danios or mountain minnows. Would they be suitable in my tank? If so, how many?

Also looking round the local suppliers (South Yorkshire) no one seems to stock these as coldwater fish, only as tropical. Any advice on where they can be obtained in my area if they are the right fish for me?

Hillstream Loaches require, cool, fast flowing and well oxygenated water which often the Fancy Goldfish cannot handle. A shoal of smaller fish may not be a good idea as they will out compete the less able bodied Fancy Goldfish for food and stress them, however, as it is in a tank enviroment it may work to a degree. I would personally go for some bottom dwelling fish like Weather Loaches or Garra pingi pingi.

leopards and zebra danios will be ok in cooler waters as they are sub-tropical; however they will stress out your orandas.
My advice would be long finned white cloud mountain minnows (meteor minnows)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back