3 weeks cycling. High ammonia for 2 weeks, no nitrite and low nitrates

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

For the OP.

If you have an established tank, you can set up a new tank with dechlorinated water, let it run for 24 hours, then add some of the filter media from the established filter. The following day add some fish.

The filter bacteria does not die off if it's without food for a week. It goes dormant and comes back to an active level when there is ammonia available to process.

For the OP.

If you have an established tank, you can set up a new tank with dechlorinated water, let it run for 24 hours, then add some of the filter media from the established filter. The following day add some fish.

The filter bacteria does not die off if it's without food for a week. It goes dormant and comes back to an active level when there is ammonia available to process.
Thanks for the advice although I think Iā€™ve gone too far into the cycle to do this? I really donā€™t want to lose any fish.

Thanks for the advice although I think Iā€™ve gone too far into the cycle to do this? I really donā€™t want to lose any fish.
I agree, Colin_T knows his stuff, and is highly knowledgeable in the hobby, but at this point, I'd ride this one out, and get this tank cycled on course...you're getting there, no need to rush, I have learned that with fishkeeping, nothing good happens fast...patience is key.

And the reward after completing a fishless cycle is an invaluable experience, IMO, and the method I encourage all to do....it's not hard, just requires some basic info, testing, and again, patience.

It's less stressful for you, and less stressful for fish...me personally, I keep fish to RELIEVE stress, not encourage it, lol.

I agree, Colin_T knows his stuff, and is highly knowledgeable in the hobby, but at this point, I'd ride this one out, and get this tank cycled on course...you're getting there, no need to rush, I have learned that with fishkeeping, nothing good happens fast...patience is key.

And the reward after completing a fishless cycle is an invaluable experience, IMO, and the method I encourage all to do.

It's less stressful for you, and less stressful for fish...me personally, I keep fish to RELEASE stress, not encourage it, lol.
Amen ??

So Iā€™ve added half my old filter media to the new tank. Smaller filter because smaller tank so the half filled the first canister. I had to cut up the sponge to make it fit, at first it was too compact so flow was very small but then I rearrange it in the canister and flow is back. How long until the ammonia will start to go down and will I still get a nitrite spike?

So Iā€™ve added half my old filter media to the new tank. Smaller filter because smaller tank so the half filled the first canister. I had to cut up the sponge to make it fit, at first it was too compact so flow was very small but then I rearrange it in the canister and flow is back. How long until the ammonia will start to go down and will I still get a nitrite spike?
It's hard to say, just monitor ammonia levels daily...patience is key in fishkeeping, nothing good ever happens quickly...;)

It's hard to say, just monitor ammonia levels daily...patience is key in fishkeeping, nothing good ever happens quickly...;)
Ok, I keep getting scared Iā€™ve made a mistake which has slowed it down. I realised my heater was too small although it was keeping it at a steady 25 but once I increased it to help it cycle the heater struggled which is how I realised it was the smaller heater I own. I have discovered that this new larger one is rubbish at telling you the temperature itā€™s getting. Iā€™ve got it set to 30 but it is only at 27. I had to slowly increase it to try and get it this high. Is this normal? Iā€™ve read other peopleā€™s threads and they have had the same problem with the numbers on the heater not being true.

Ok, I keep getting scared Iā€™ve made a mistake which has slowed it down. I realised my heater was too small although it was keeping it at a steady 25 but once I increased it to help it cycle the heater struggled which is how I realised it was the smaller heater I own. I have discovered that this new larger one is rubbish at telling you the temperature itā€™s getting. Iā€™ve got it set to 30 but it is only at 27. I had to slowly increase it to try and get it this high. Is this normal? Iā€™ve read other peopleā€™s threads and they have had the same problem with the numbers on the heater not being true.
Yes, NONE of my tanks temps match what I have my heaters set on...but as long as the tank temps stay steady and constant, I don't fret over it
Steady as she goes, you'll get there....

Yes, NONE of my tanks temps match what I have my heaters set on...but as long as the tank temps stay steady and constant, I don't fret over it
Steady as she goes, you'll get there....
Oh wow. I did well with my first heater then. Itā€™s always been accurate and it flashes to tell the me actual temperature of the water which is perfect for when doing water changes. But thank you. Itā€™s helpful to know itā€™s normal. How long have your tanks taken to cycle In the past?

My tanks usually take around 3 weeks, sometimes 4...and I always let them go another week, just to be certain ammonia is being consumed properly

More than welcome...stay patient

Most reactions

trending

Back