2 tetras vanished from 10 gallon

elephantnose3334

Fishaholic
Reaction score
A few days ago, I was feeding my tetras brine shrimp with a net until I just realised today that one of the tetras from both cardinal and silvertip (2 in total) vanished in thin air. I think I might have accidentally caught the fish whilst feeding them with brine shrimp and went down the sink drain while removing the excess shrimp off the net, but I don't remember doing that at the time. Now I have 10 fish remaining (5 silvertips, 5 cardinals) in my 10 gallon. Did I make a fatal mistake while feeding the fish brine shrimp with a net or did I do it correctly? I'm starting to have some bad luck here with my 10 gallon. 3 fish gone in total now.

Could they be in the filter? I have a built in filter in the back of my tank and fish were constantly getting stuck in behind itā€¦ fixed the problem now, but just a thought. Also, it may be obvious, but could something be eating them? And look for fish chips on the floorā€¦ tetras arenā€™t usually jumpers, but you never know.

Itā€™s likely a coincidence about the brine shrimp.

Could they be in the filter? I have a built in filter in the back of my tank and fish were constantly getting stuck in behind itā€¦ fixed the problem now, but just a thought. Also, it may be obvious, but could something be eating them? And look for fish chips on the floorā€¦ tetras arenā€™t usually jumpers, but you never know.
I don't know. Edit: No they're not in the filter

If they died several days ago in a place you didn't see them, they could decompose rapidly in warmth. Or, they could have jumped out.

I doubt the shrimp net could have done it. I have never poured excess brine shrimp out, but you would see a fish easily. It is extremely unlikely.

If they died several days ago in a place you didn't see them, they could decompose rapidly in warmth. Or, they could have jumped out.

I doubt the shrimp net could have done it. I have never poured excess brine shrimp out, but you would see a fish easily. It is extremely unlikely.
Hmm... Dad thinks I did it on purpose, which I didn't.

Even when we watch tanks closely, fish can vanish. If you have snails and warm water, they can vanish quickly.
I have some massive cories and whenever a small fish dies, it's completely gone within a day.
But most of the time, you should be able to see bones... snails take a lot longer to eat bones vs flesh

I had a Balloon Molley and a Tetra disappear like that. No signs of bad health, but know the shrimp in my tank ate them. The Molley half a carcas popped up in a plant a day after I searched everywhere. The Tetra was never to be seen again. Even checked to make sure they didn't jump out, but severely unlikely being there is a lit covering the tank and only a very small area open due to the filter.

Yup. Being they are scavengers, I got the shrimp to help deal with algae, but they eat anything apparently.

Have you seen Rex, the Peacock Mantis shrimp yet? (not what I have, but definitely an interesting take on shrimp)
Nope . Havenā€™t seen Rex the Peacock Mantis Shrimp but now Iā€™m starting to think about maybe getting some shrimp . They didnā€™t really grab me before . I thought they just kinda hung around and werenā€™t all that interesting but maybe they are .

Nope . Havenā€™t seen Rex the Peacock Mantis Shrimp but now Iā€™m starting to think about maybe getting some shrimp . They didnā€™t really grab me before . I thought they just kinda hung around and werenā€™t all that interesting but maybe they are .

Don't get me wrong, there aren't anything fancy. I have 2 and barely ever see them.. From my understanding, they come out more at night, but I don't really know enough about them. I can say they did help a good bit of the green hair algae I had and know they eat the carcasses.

Don't get me wrong, there aren't anything fancy. I have 2 and barely ever see them.. From my understanding, they come out more at night, but I don't really know enough about them. I can say they did help a good bit of the green hair algae I had and know they eat the carcasses.
They eat hair algae you say ? I could use a couple hair algae eaters but when thatā€™s gone I wonder if they would eat up my Java Moss ? I hear that Gammarus scuds like Java Moss and theyā€™re sorta kinda similar .

Most reactions

Back