12 Tortoise Eggs, Layed Yesterday.

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

guppy_man

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
After a short weekend in my caravan, i came home to find 12 tortoise eggs in my garden, now ive had my 3 tortoise's for around 18 years and shelly, my only female, layed 14 eggs but 2 were cracked, so i now have 12.
the last time i hatched tortoises i didn't bother with an incubator, i just got a small 5gal tank, bought a metal lid and fitted a 50w bulb to it and covered the eggs in sand, it was cheap but very affective.

is there anyone here with tortoise's, and would like to tell people about them?
feel free to add to my post, thanks :D

when i bought my tortoise's it was legal to buy them, but now, its not so easy, thats why so many people want to breed their tortoises, so they can be sold on, people are willing to buy them for alot of money, when i bought my 3, i payed £120 each, now they are sold for alot more.

I love tortoises, i've got a five year old Testudo gracea ibera (confusion with common name, so I used the latin one, I think either greek tortoise or spur thighed, not african spur thighes though, they are massive!).

What kind of tortoises do you have? I'd love to breed mine when she's older, but I lost my defra papers with my passport when I moved house (think they got binned), so I can never sell her or any babies she had.

i have mediteranian tortoises, they dont grow very big just under a foot long and around 5-6 inches wide, mine love to eat cat food aswell as all their greens. :lol:

Some species of tortoise have to have paperwork and if you breed one of those species it is illegal to sell one without paperwork.I have a Herman tortoise and she lays infertile eggs every year,i should really get her a mate

My red ear sliders bred last year and laid 7 eggs. It took them 2 months to hatch though :blink:
Mine simply dug a hole in the sand and laid the egg in it. I placed my tank w/ the eggs under the sun to incubate them.

:D my female tortoise is t least 26 years old as that is how long I have had her. She loves tinned dog food, but soft fruit is one of her faves. I also scrape cuttlefish on to her food to help her shell. She is a spur thighed.

well ive done a little research, and as said on the internet, mediteranian tortoise eggs take 90 - 120 days to hatch, with any luck they should hatch from the 15th October onwards, cant wait.

if and when they do hatch they will all have a 30gallon tank to grow up in for the first 2 years, then on into the wide open world of my garden, well its not quite the open world, but its big enough :lol:

in my area theres many and go for about £100 to £180, these are the prices i seen.
i think the one i had (harry) was about £20 and but he was brought years ago when my mom was a little girl.
unfortunately the graden and housae gpot robbed when we was away and harry got robbed and we have never seen or heard anything about him since :-(
one day il have another 1 but not for a long while until i move into a place of my own :(

Most reactions

Back