10 Gal Shrimp Tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

RachelMallory

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I have a ten gallon tank that has just recently finished cycling, I want it to be a shrimp tank, and maybe a few glass catfish or neon tetras.
Anyways, I was thinking of planting the tank with lucky bamboo, and putting in some rock caves and what not. Do mostly all shrimp get along? Would it be a problem if I just had a bunch of different kinds?

most shrimp will get along... and get along to much ;)... so much they might interbreed (depending on the shrimp) and you might get hybrids if you keep them all in the same tank (research which shrimp you like the look of first)

also shrimp love moss (so might want to cover your caves with some =D)

i've kept cherry shrimp and ghost shrimp together with no problems, but im not sure about other species. I think glass catfish would be to small for a ten gal, considering they need to be in groups. :good:

Awesome! Do you know if they need any special care?
I mean I've done my research, and like with any sites you have people that say one thing and others that say another.

experience counts... get bamboo shrinps..coolest guys on the block

I was thinking about it!! But I know that they are "filter feeders" and I"m not quite sure how you would go about feeding them. Suggestions?

experience counts... get bamboo shrinps..coolest guys on the block

I was thinking about it!! But I know that they are "filter feeders" and I"m not quite sure how you would go about feeding them. Suggestions?

I added a couple things to my tank today, algae eating shrimp and three bumblebee gobies. It's pretty bare right now but hopefully very very soon I can add some lucky bamboo stalks! I eventually want to add a lot of different species of shrimp, but first RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH!

They filter the water through their "fan hands" and take algae from that. I have a few small fish in with mine and feed a mixture of fry food and ground up flake/algae wafers/granules mix....

They filter the water through their "fan hands" and take algae from that. I have a few small fish in with mine and feed a mixture of fry food and ground up flake/algae wafers/granules mix....

Oh! Well that doesn't sound too bad then! I will defintily wait a while though for those, right now I've got some simple run of the mill ghost shrimp, three algae eating shrimp, and three bumble bee gobies. My newest question is...i've heard a lot about amano shrimp climbing out of tanks, and I would like to have it a bamboo planted tank, so if I do not have a lid because the bamboo is too tall do you think i'll have an issue?

One more as well!!!
I have a couple of lucky bamboo plants that i purchased from petsmart and they are pretty tall, too tall to fit in my tank. Can I cut them in half without killing them?

Oh! Well that doesn't sound too bad then! I will defintily wait a while though for those, right now I've got some simple run of the mill ghost shrimp, three algae eating shrimp, and three bumble bee gobies. My newest question is...i've heard a lot about amano shrimp climbing out of tanks, and I would like to have it a bamboo planted tank, so if I do not have a lid because the bamboo is too tall do you think i'll have an issue?

Rule of thumb is that ANYTHING will escape from ANYWHERE given half a chance.. I wouldn't risk not having the lid...

Is your bamboo just normal house plant bamboo? Didn't know you could put that in a tank.... Hmmmmm idea time...

Rule of thumb is that ANYTHING will escape from ANYWHERE given half a chance.. I wouldn't risk not having the lid...

Is your bamboo just normal house plant bamboo? Didn't know you could put that in a tank.... Hmmmmm idea time...

It's called lucky bamboo, from what I remember it's not in the same "family" as normal bamboo but you can have it in aquariums. It looks the same, and it's really easy to take care of, you just have to make sure to have the leaves above the surface, if they aren't it will drown and die. Which is where the question comes in, it can't have so much light beaming down on it. So I wanted to do a hanging light fixture above the tank, and plant the bamboo in there so that way I won't have a problem. But I don't want to have a heart attack finding a big shrimp cruisin around my living room either.

I would rather leave the bamboo than risk finding a dried out shrimp on the floor!!!

OR.....how about a clear perspex cover with holes drilled for the bamboo to fit through?

Most reactions

Back