Please Help! Again

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

joshntarri

Reaction score
Came home from a concert tonight, and one of my blood parrots was dead. Also, 2 of my plecos are missing. We have searched the entire tank, and there is no sign of them. We lost 2 of them before but we found them in the under gravel filter. They are not there or in the filter housing. And nothing on the floor around the tank. Where could they be???

Hi what plecs are they? and how big are they?
What other fish do you have in the tank?

When fish die there bodies can be eaten very quickly buy the other fish.

Hi what plecs are they? and how big are they?
What other fish do you have in the tank?

When fish die there bodies can be eaten very quickly buy the other fish.
plecostomus common tiger barbs and parrots. The plecs are about an inch. today 3 more fish are dead and at least 1 more is dying. I don't know if I said I just treated them for ich 2 days ago. I don't know if that is what is killing them. Did I clean the tank too much? I know our parrots seem to always be stressed. I don't know what to do. The water keeps testing fine.

Hmmm...you obviously have something going on here. Let's start from the beginning and see if we can't get to the root of this for you.

How big is the tank, how long has it been set up and what filtration are you running and exactly what fish are in there (number and sizes, please)?

I know in another thread you said you'd used old media when you moved the fish, but how long was the previous tank set up and how was it cycled?

What are the actual numbers from your tests and how are you testing; your own kit, or are you getting the LFS to do for you and is it liquid test kits or paper strips?

What percentage of water do you change at one time, what dechlorinator do you use and how do you clean your filter out?

Hmmm...you obviously have something going on here. Let's start from the beginning and see if we can't get to the root of this for you.

How big is the tank, how long has it been set up and what filtration are you running and exactly what fish are in there (number and sizes, please)?

I know in another thread you said you'd used old media when you moved the fish, but how long was the previous tank set up and how was it cycled?

What are the actual numbers from your tests and how are you testing; your own kit, or are you getting the LFS to do for you and is it liquid test kits or paper strips?

What percentage of water do you change at one time, what dechlorinator do you use and how do you clean your filter out?
45 gallon. 9 parrots 2 to 3 in. 5 tiger barbs 1/2 in 2 plecos 1/2in to 1 in,.2 weeks set up. under gravel and tetra 30 60. the other tank was from my son so it had fish before. I used the filter from that one had it up over a month and I cycled for 3 days then got fish and we still have them all. we use tetra safestart and paper strips i will have to check on the #'s and between 20 and 40 gallon water change.

It sounds like you might not be properly cycled; I don't see how you can cycle in three days. 50% water changes daily until you can get some test results; most paper test strips don't do ammonia, which is the most important.

It sounds like you might not be properly cycled; I don't see how you can cycle in three days. 50% water changes daily until you can get some test results; most paper test strips don't do ammonia, which is the most important.
Thank you for your comments. I buy separate strips for ammonia only. I have cycled a few tank in a short time, when you take it down at your friends house and set it right back up at yours it dose not take that long. I figured out what the problem was myself and every thing is fine. thanks

What did the problem turn out to be? Might be useful for anyone else in a similar situation in the future.

I didn't realise the tank had been previously set up at someone else's house, lol, sorry :blush:

What did the problem turn out to be? Might be useful for anyone else in a similar situation in the future.

I didn't realise the tank had been previously set up at someone else's house, lol, sorry :blush:
I ended up cleaning it to well. I killed all the good bacteria. I missed the part where I was supposed to change them to another tank.

I ended up cleaning it to well. I killed all the good bacteria.
Ah! Easily done for new fishkeepers! just keep an eye on the levels of ammonia and nitrite until you're sure the bacteria are ok again then :)

Thanks I will. I have had fish before but I never had ick. I just freaked out. I will not be getting anymore jellybeans or blood parrots. Mine seemed to always be under stress. I get so upset when they die. I will stick with hardier fish.

You'd also do yourself a favor by investing in a liquid professional testing kit. The strips are notoriously unreliable.

You'd also do yourself a favor by investing in a liquid professional testing kit. The strips are notoriously unreliable.
lol yes thank you I am going to I have been told that alot this week. They are not that much really we have 11 tanks running and 2 more in the garage we go through a lot of strips. I bet it will end up saving me money.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back