TFF Contest Czar
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
We have a winner in Tropical Fish Forums'
September 2023
Pet of the Month Contest

We had 7 awesome pets entered in this month's POTM contest. But only one could win...
And the winner is.......
:band:
:hooray:
Kolykaf
Let's all congratulate them
:drinks:
Here's their winning Golden Mantella Frog
img_6540-jpeg.327473

This is one of my Mantella aurantiaca, commonly known as golden mantellas. They are small frogs native to the central highlands of Madagascar. Like their poison dart frog cousins of South and Central America, they have evolved to accumulate in their skin alkaloids from insects in their diet. This renders them poisonous to potential predators. Their bright coloration is an obvious warning to stay away. I’ve had four of these little guys (actually, three males and one female) for almost a year. They live in a lushly vegetated vivarium that measures 30”x12”x18”. As they are not fed insects with toxic compounds in captivity, they are not poisonous. The staple of their diet is fruit flies that have been dusted with calcium, vitamin D and other essential minerals in powdered form. I supplement this with pinhead crickets and tiny spiders (their favorite) when I can catch them. I’ve had several species of small frogs over the years, but these are my favorite: they live peacefully in groups, are remarkably bold for their size and the males have a sweet little trilling chirp which they promptly begin after a misting of their enclosure.

Last edited:
Congrats to @Kolykaf for your winning entry in the POTM contest. Your Golden Mantella frog is deserving of the win. Such an unusual frog.
Coming in second place is @rebe with their most unusually patterned pet cat named Archie. His fur pattern reminds me of a target 🎯at the gun range. Congrats on finishing in second place.
And coming in 3rd place is @Ram419 with their Black Tabby kitty named Oliver. Great looking cat. Congrats on finishing in the top 3 in the contest.

Right now we are seeking entrants for our October Tank of the Month Contest. For October we are featuring tanks sized at 17 to 30 US gallons. If you have a tank of that size, we hope you enter it in the contest.
CLICK HERE to view the entry thread.

Last edited:
Congratulations!

Most reactions

trending

Back