How to/should I plant

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PygmyPepperJulli

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi and happy new year everyone!

I am undergoing an internal debate at the moment concerning my new 55 gal tank, namely whether it should be blackwater or planted. So far all of my fish would love blackwater (neons, cories, am planning for pearl gourami) and I love the look, however it would definitely look out of place in the room it's in. SO....

I need some help.

If you had this tank, how would you plant it? Would you put a background on it? I do like the arrangement of driftwood at the moment, but can move it around. All plants have to be low tech (I'm not planning on using ferts or co2... the light is really good though). At this point I'm considering just putting in a lilly-pad on the right and seeing what happens, but honestly am just really stuck.

Attachments

• vhh.jpg
    vhh.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 36
I would suggest epiphytes and or moss. Specifically dark coloured epiphytes to add to the blackwater theme. Bucephalandra, Anubias, Bolbitis, and similar plants. The great thing about epiphytes is they are water column feeders and substrate isn't really needed so it can be attached to driftwood/rocks and will be fine. I've had epiphytes root into substrate after a while but as long as the rhizome isn't submerged and has flowing water over it they do well. One other note is since they are water column feeders dosing liquid fertiliser is recommended for optimal growth but usually I've found that really isn't necessary if fish stocking is a good quantity

For example MD Fishtanks all epiphyte aquarium
Capture.JPG

Crank your light until algae starts to form.

Then you can easily fill that with java ferns and moss, with small floating plants of your choice.

It will bring comfort to your neons. And shade to your javas.

Try to bring the show to the front at the same time. and don't light it too much then.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back