Hi - new to forum

The male is really getting to be a beautiful fish. I know the males do get that nuchal hump like flowerhorns. Mine doesn't have a decent one yet but he is still small.
I had 8 rescure African Cichlids years ago, with in a year of putting them in my 55 gallon tank I had move all other fish to other tanks except a large pleco and they had over 50 young that grew to adults. Beautiful fish and fun to watch at first. I made the mistske of having fry grass. I gave away most of the young. have not had any type of cichlid since the last one died many years ago.

This was my first tropical tank. I decided to move my goldfish outside and I had an empty 55 gallon and just figured to give something different a try. Turned out to be a great idea! I love Mary and her little buddies so much.

Here is a video from September 2018 with Mary and her Tiger Barbs. Bit different now!

Thank you very much! Happy to be here. Hopefully when the time comes, someone here will be able to take the Texas Cichlids. Their names are Norman and Boran BTW but I rarely call them by their names. Only Mary is truly unique to me. But I would love for them to go to someone experienced and who has the proper space and whatnot to care for them well.

I also meant to add that I love Cories and find them ultra cute... And I've tried several different species from different sources in this tank over the time I've had the tank... But they tend to be bullied by the Tiger Barbs and they usually slowly seem to starve to death over the next month or two. I gave up trying to keep them. I hate when little fishies die on me.
Yeah corydora dont belong with semi or aggressive species.

I kinda discovered that the hard way... Sad because I do love little Cory fish. I had found some beautiful emerald ones... They all died 1 by 1 at the FINS of the Tiger Barbs. Mary left them alone.

Been a while since I came here. The tank DID end up getting hostile with Mary first fighting with the male Texas Cichlid then basically just going after everyone. 3 Barbs died from what I believe was mere stress from it all. I booted the last 3 Barbs and the two other Cichlids back to Petco. The tank is just Mary now. He messes up any decoration so I just don't care anymore.

I don't want him to be the only fish there, but I think that is how it'll have to be. Anyway here he is now - taking a treat from my hand and cutely chewing it lol

Sorry about the fish you lost, some fish just do not get along, I had a similar experience with some African Cichlids that my daughter rescued, I had to remove all the other fish from my 55 gallon tank except a pleco that they seemed to leave alone. Mary seems to be doing well, beautiful fish:wub:

aww, bummer about your "community tank" no longer being a community tank :(
I am hoping to have some parrots in a community tank, and I am also hoping that this story doesn't repeat with me! what do you think were the precipitating reasons for the aggression?

As the male Texas Cichlid begun to catch Mary in size, I think he got more hostile and whatnot seeing the male Texas as a threat. Then I think he just was stressed from constantly battling with the male Texas that he just sorta turned into a bastard and begun to go after everyone. Hes much happier alone now.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back