Zooanthids Die Off

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

13thmonkey

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
is it common for colony polyps to have a slight die off the first couple of weeks and the start flourishing? i got a really nice chunk of branch rock with polyps from liveaquaria's divers den complete with a bubble tip hitchhiker. the nem never showed a bit of stress but the polyps kinda fizzled out and are now starting to really come on strong. i did do a two hour drip to acclimate. all water quality perameters are within specs for polyps.

Mine have never died off, but they close up when I first put them in and then re-open after they get comfortable. Usually they start to open in 24hrs or less, and are fully open in 2-3 days, maybe less. I don't know if that's typical for everyone but for me that's pretty normal, and zoa's are my favorite inverts, so I have tons of them.

In my experience with zoa's, they acclimate best if you have good lighting, keep them in low(ish) to moderate current, and acclimate them slowly (like you did). Your experience doesn't sound that unusual to me, but I would expect slightly faster acclimation. I actually doubt they "died," but rather stayed closed up for a little while due to the shock of transfer. Zoa's are real robust and tough to actually kill. Lord knows I've tried (without realizing it) and so far I haven't killed any. ;)

Keith

Not that uncommon at all. You're doing something right if they're growing fast :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back