Zoas Died.. Why ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tat2life

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i thought zoas were easy to keep ? well mine have died for some reason.. im not sure why though. they never opend up at all and now they have almost completely vanished from the rock. the other 2 rocks i have with zoas on seem fine though but 1 is looking like its loosing some buds. any ideas what im doing wrong ? i have a 1 foot, 15watt standard bulb and a 3 foot 30watt t8 bulb. my tank is 3ft long, about 120 uk liters. and i leave lights on for about 7 hours a day

Well, it could be a predator of some sort...but that lighting seems a little weak to me. Maybe try moving the zoas closer to the surface?

only thing i have is bristle worms and 3 fish, it is possible i have other things wich i havent seen but i have been looking for months and only ever seen a few bristle worms lol, they changed color from green to brown and just faded away to bare rock. i did move them closer to the water surface to get extra light. but i know ppl who keep them with just standard 15w lights. the other zoas seem ok though so i dont think its light and its not predator because all 3 rocks with zoas on are touching eachother thats how close they are and the other 2 are ok. could it be a feeding issue ?

Well it's probably not lighting. I wouldnt rule out predation. Feeding COULD be an issue but zoanthids are primarily photosynthetic.

could it be a damsel eating it ? i just noticed my damsel peck at it.. i dont think he actually got anything but i have noticed him around it a few times now. and it is actually since i added him to the tank they started to vanish

I've heard of damsels irritating corals to death and have had them destroy my feather caulerpa just because they didnt like it.

ah could be that then, i think i will get a anemone next a damsel should bother that too much

Heh, "because they don't like it". These things are nothing short of Satan's spawn, huh? ;)

You will have problems keeping the anemone under your lighting. Though perhaps you could buy a bleached one then slowly upgrade the lighting over a couple weeks. Even doing that is a fairly large risk, though.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back