Zoanthids Disappearing / Some Corals Not Too Well

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

injektion

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i recently bought a few frags of different types of zoa's and after acclimating for about an hour i put them in. about half a day later all of them open up and all seems fine. a few days later all of them shrivel up and about a week after that they all disappeared leaving only the rock they were mounted on. this has happened to a couple of my frags but the rest of them are fine. the only difference would be that the one's that have disappeared are mounted onto another rock with some coralife holdfast epoxy sticks (i think that's what it's called).

do you guys think the epoxy has something to do with it? everything in my tank is reef safe and the water params are where they should be.

nitrite 0
nitrate 5
ammonia 0
phosphates 0
calcium ~400
ph 8.2
sg 1.025
temp 25C

i'm slightly inclined to think that my "reef safe" blue legged hermits have been eating or messing around with my zoa's as they are always turning small rocks over and moving things. i only have 3 in a 70 gallon.

also my plate coral has a similar case. when i introduced it to the tank it had all its tentacles out but now i haven't seen them for more than a week.

and lastly my kenya tree coral has been all shriveled up since last week. before this happened it had been kind of "fragging" itself by letting go of some of the branches which was quite irritating for me because i had to find new places for them constantly. is it normal for kenya trees to "frag" themselves?

other than those things everything else is doing fine. most of my zoa's are fine, my branching euphylia is fine, candy cane corals are fine, and all my shrooms are great.

What levels are your KH and Mag ?

I know there are some spiders that eat Zoas but they would not touch your Fungia.

i don't have those two results readily right now but i'll get them tomorrow.

i don't think pests or "spiders" are the problem because they seem to have closed up after being open for about a day after first introducing them. they have stayed closed ever since until now that they've suddenly disappeared.

i do have some asterina stars could they have been the culprit? also the other day i found a hitch hiker crab about half an inch with greenish body with gradient blue claws and a red colour under the claw. does this sound familiar to anyone? could he have been the one eating my zoas?

i don't have those two results readily right now but i'll get them tomorrow.

i don't think pests or "spiders" are the problem because they seem to have closed up after being open for about a day after first introducing them. they have stayed closed ever since until now that they've suddenly disappeared.

i do have some asterina stars could they have been the culprit? also the other day i found a hitch hiker crab about half an inch with greenish body with gradient blue claws and a red colour under the claw. does this sound familiar to anyone? could he have been the one eating my zoas?

Asternia should not cause a problem with Corals to my knowledge the Crab might a good indicator is eye colour if Red these are bad in general

Most reactions

trending

Back