Zoanthid oddity

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

chkltcow

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Okay, last night I noticed one of my new purple zoanthids "spitting" out some type of stringy stuff. The strand was about 2-3 inches long, and once it was out... it looked just fine. Today I've found three more of those strings stuck to a rock, the filter outlet, and the thermometer. What are my zoanthids doing?

It sounds like they are expelling unwanted food. (going to the toilet to use another word ;) )

Try searching for zooxanthellae. This is what they were expelling.

Seems to me it would not be a good thing if his corals were expelling there algea, akin to bleaching I think they are just expellingWaste, Cnidarians only have one vent they cant just keep swelling until they explode. Rabit fish will acctually eat what the corals expell.

I know what Zooanthellae is.... just didn't know that was the form it took, I guess. Or the color, really. As for whether it's good or not..... it came shortly after feeding some phytoplankton and zooplankton, which the polyps seemed to eat. Maybe they were just full. They look better now than when I got them, despite puking up their zooanthellae.

Most reactions

trending

Back