zero amonia levels

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

stuhall1973

Reaction score
Hi,

Most of my set up is from an established tank prior (coldwater fish), i am now keeping tropical fish although most of the media inside the tank was cleaned through whith tap water.

I have had the tank running now for 3 weeks, 2 weeks without fish, 1 week with 2xGuppies. The amonia levels are zero is this normal ?, i would of expected them to be alot higher than that, i did a water change after 3 days on inserting the fish, and will continue to do so until the tank is cycled.

Just wondered if someone could clarify if this is normal to have zero amonia levels after 1 week of cycling ?, and if every 3 days is sufficient on the water changes?.

Did you use the gravel from the coldwater fish as it might of cycled your tank, if there was alot of bacteria colony in the gravel, why did you wash your sponges in tap water, you could of rinsed them in old tank water.

I temporarly moved the tank for a month, emptied 95% of the water and stored it away, when i got the tank back out of my garage it smelt a bit whiffy, so yes i did wash everything in tap water. Everything in the tank is the original from keeping cold water fish for 5 years, so i guess even though i washed everything, some goodness could still be in the gravel, etc...

With all this, how would i know if the tank is cycled or not ?

The last thing i want to do is add more fish to an uncycled tank, but reading alot of threads on here i really didn't expect my amonia levels to be zero just yet.

Have you nitrite test kit that reading will help.

if the tank was stored for a month with no ammonia source, then the bacteria are probably all dead! sorry...you'll probably have to go through a regular cycle with your 2 fish

i only have a "Tetratest nh3 & nh4" testing kit (liquid), all the gravel was still covered in the old tank water though and then very quickly washed, would there still not be enough goodness in this to have quickened the cycle in the new tank?

Did you wash it in the tank water or tap water.

I hosed it down with tap water, i new this would kill alot of bacteria but it smelt that bad i had no choice, i was hoping that enough goodness would remain, and my tank would establish alot sooner than 6-8 weeks because of this.

So, if this isn't the case and all the bacteria has died and i keep getting zero amonia levels what does this mean ?

Tap water would of killed it off, how big is the tank as with only two guppys it could take a while not a great fish to cycle the tank with as they are fragile, do you have any cycle that will speed the bacteria colony up.

Check the nitrate and nitrite level as well. In a balance cycled tank, its common to see ammonia and nitrate near zero, but not nitrite.

the period of time with no ammonia for food will have killed the bacteria before washing it with tap water.

either remove the guppies and try fishless cycling, get some mature gravel or filter media from another fully cycled tank or get a few more hardy fish to cycle with fish

Check your nitrate if you have nitrate then you probably have a good bacteria levels, some bacteria are able to remain domant for tens of years and then revive when conditions are suitable. It can be the same for these. Many bacteria produce spores that can survive some pretty extreme conditions.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back