Zebra Snails Eating Paint

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Acorn

Reaction score
Hey All,

I have just invested in four Zebra Snail in the hope of clearing up my Brown Algae outbreak.

They are doing a fantastic job so far but I have noticed a small problem.

When they have been eating the brown algae from my decorations they have also removed the paint in patches. What was once a decorated statue now has white patches on it.

Is this normal? Another family member who also has Zebra Snails and has had them a few months more then me has also reported that the paint is being striped from their decorations by the snail as well.

The decorations were about $17 each and are made from 100% Polyresin and then painted on top

Any ideas on whats going on? What should I be using with this type of snails decorations wise? Something unpainted and white?

All Snails feed on algae or biofilm on any object in the aquarium.  Sometimes the biofilm is firmly attached to a surface.  The snails have evolved the ability to scrape off firmly attached biofilms.  Sometimes any material loosely attached material, such as paint, may come off with the biofilm. It's normal. Materials without paint will generally hold up better than painted ones.  Sometimes the decorations don't have paint but instead coloring throughout the material.   Those decorations would hold up better. 

IMO those decorations are not snail safe and should be removed, you would be better off putting in some bog wood. 

I have just invested in four Zebra Snail in the hope of clearing up my Brown Algae outbreak.
Remember to feed the snails

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back