Zebra Snail question

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Nemo2182

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi guys, so my female Zebra snail is a prolific egg layer and its getting silly now. For every one I scrape off, she has laid another 10. The biggest issue now is I am now going to rescape my tank, and have just spent £50 on a lovely Bonsai tree and she is going to destroy it.

I dont want to get rid because pets at home dont sex snails, so i could just end up with the same. Is there anything I can do to stop her?

If there are male and female zebra nerit snails you will get eggs. had them in the past and constantly had eggs in my small tank. I have recently reintroduced nerits in my tank but with one difference. Each snail has a a different color and pattern. 1 Tigger nerit, one yellow horned nerve, and one orange horned nerve. so farNo eggs. My belief is the shell pattern and color are specific nerit species. So if that is the case I don't have a breading pare of nerits and shouldn't get eggs.

I got my nerits from aquatic arts.com and they have a wide verity nerits listed.

Spot the egg....lol

Attachments

• 20200630_204322.jpg
    20200630_204322.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 90
  • 20200630_204318.jpg
    20200630_204318.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 93
Oh wow....I got 5 of them for my tank the other week, i was told they wouldn't lay eggs unless in salt water. I hope they don't start eeekkkkkk.

Also a few have now started leaving the water and going on the lid? I thought they had to stay in the water. I need do some more research on these little guys....or gals

Most nerite snails will breed in fresh or salt water, but the young need brackish or salt water to survive. So you might get eggs, but you won't get babies

Oh wow....I got 5 of them for my tank the other week, i was told they wouldn't lay eggs unless in salt water. I hope they don't start eeekkkkkk.

Also a few have now started leaving the water and going on the lid? I thought they had to stay in the water. I need do some more research on these little guys....or gals
Not only will they feed on the underside of a lid, they'll escape if you don't have a tight fitting one...and, they'll climb into HOB's, as well...they're excellent algae eaters, and will forage wherever they can.

I have 5, in my 29G, originally were in my other tanks...never saw eggs while they were in the original tanks...now that I combined them into the 29G, I have the "dreaded" eggs, lol

It's not that bad, I'll use my razor scraper on the ones on the glass, and try not to obsess too much over the others...

Not only will they feed on the underside of a lid, they'll escape if you don't have a tight fitting one...and, they'll climb into HOB's, as well...they're excellent algae eaters, and will forage wherever they can.

I have 5, in my 29G, originally were in my other tanks...never saw eggs while they were in the original tanks...now that I combined them into the 29G, I have the "dreaded" eggs, lol

It's not that bad, I'll use my razor scraper on the ones on the glass, and try not to obsess too much over the others...
Thanks, i will keep an eye on them. Lid fits snuggly with a little lip inside so they won't be able to get out, ill just have to remember they go up there when I take the lid off to do water changes etc.

Will the fish eat the eggs?

HOB?

Thanks ?

HOB = hang on back, a type of filter

No, fish don't eat the eggs. They look like sesame seeds and are stuck tight. I use a piece of rigid plastic to scrape them off the glass (my first tank has sections you had to cut out for the cables to go through and that little rectangle of plastic is perfect for the job). They can be scraped off plastic decor, filter casing etc but not off wood or you take the surface off the wood. I don't even notice the eggs on the wood now I'm so used to them.

I put an old egg covered piece of wood back in the tank last year and the eggs did fall off. I don't know if it was because they were old or because the wood had been out of water for several years.

OK thanks for the tips.
??I have all male snails hahaha
My heater and pump etc is all in a separate section at the back, that seals when the lid is down (fluval flex 123)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back