Zebra Loach Acting Odd

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

magical trevor

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Okay I've got 6 zebra loach. I only found out that there zebras after being on loaches.com As i was told when i got my 1st one that they where Pakistani loach but there not anyway.

Ive noticed that 1 of them is flashing on stones rather regularly. Now i cannot see any white spot on any of the fish.

My stocking includes
17 Rummy nose tetras
9 Odessa barbs
6 congo tetras
6 Pakistani loach
2 kribs
1 Angel
1 Blue grouami
1 B/N pleco
1 Rusty pleco
1 Talking catfish

Ive tested my water using a Nurafin liquid test kit to make sure it wasnt ammonia burning his slime coat
pH -7.5
Ammonia -0.0
Nitrite -0.0
Nitrate -10.0

So im unsure whats going on. I dont want to start treating for white spot if i dont need to.

Anyone got any ideas?

Flashing is not just a sign of white spot, it just shows something is irritating the fish. Could be any number of things, what is the tank size, filtration etc. Do you have a picture?

Edit: A ridiculous 6 posts...... yay. Sorry to sound stupid but is there no way i can delete these myself or am i just not seeing it?

Its a 4 foot tank.

At the moment its most definatly under filtered im running a Rena Xp2 which it probally turning the water in the tank over once in a hour
:blink:

I have a new filter coming on tuesday hopfully. A eheim 2028 Bought from a memeber on here.

Picture of the fish ill try and get one but theres no visual signs of anything that could be wrong.

Could it be physical debris in the water irritating the loach?

i did clean the filter last night.

Tried to get a photo but he dosent want his photo taken apparently seen as he keeps swimming away.

So should i just ignore it until i see some other visual issues?

i did clean the filter last night.

Tried to get a photo but he dosent want his photo taken apparently seen as he keeps swimming away.

So should i just ignore it until i see some other visual issues?

To be honest if you can not see any other problems there is nothing i can suggest. I would wait and see what it is like when you upgrade the filter.

Edit: By the way, do you know how many litres/gallons the tank is?

Its say 246 litres and the filter runs at about 260 i think so not ideal. At least the issue will be resolved within the nest few days :good:

Thanks ill post up if anything else happens.

Ehm ok its been a few days now and my filter still isnt here.

2 of the loach now seem to have some rapid gill movement! 1 of them seems to be quite bad hes not
really swimming anymore. But when other fish go up to inspect him he darts away.
Still not signs of anything wrong though. I dont know what to do and removing him to a hospital
tank isnt an option as i do to have media thats seeded enough to move him. And i fear that the other one seems to be going
The same way.

But no visual signs of illness apart from flashing and Rapid gill movment.

HELP!!!

Ehm ok its been a few days now and my filter still isnt here.

2 of the loach now seem to have some rapid gill movement! 1 of them seems to be quite bad hes not
really swimming anymore. But when other fish go up to inspect him he darts away.
Still not signs of anything wrong though. I dont know what to do and removing him to a hospital
tank isnt an option as i do to have media thats seeded enough to move him. And i fear that the other one seems to be going
The same way.

But no visual signs of illness apart from flashing and Rapid gill movment.

HELP!!!

So you have obviously taken Ammonia and Nitrite readings? What are they?

Tested them last nyt and There all at a normal level. As per my above post.

Im at a loss. From wat i can see in the tank the gills are not red or inflamed.
Its the smallest 2 of the 6 the other four seem to be fine.

I know my filters not as powerful as it should be but it didnt seem to be an issue before.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back