Zebra is not welcome to come to school!!!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jan Cavalieri

Fish Addict
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I have a serial killer zebra danio (normally a peaceful species) that killed his "brothers" AND a much loved
Gourami.

His punishment? Life in prison with a school of Harlequin Rasboras

He keeps trying to join them, but as soon as he does they switch directions. At first I thought it was an accident but after observing them I'm pretty sure those Harlequins are messing with him! Zebras are a HIGH energy fish and I think he's actually getting worn out because he stops and rests - maybe that little brain is trying to think up a new strategy to "get into school"

Yeah I know - bad joke LOL (no fish have been killed since he joined them) .

Zebra Not Welcome to School.jpg

Your zebra danio is a female.

The harlequins and most schooling fish prefer to be in groups of their own kind. If a fish looks similar to them they might hang out together, but danios are completely different to harlequins so they won't school.

You need a picture on the back of the tank to make the fish feel more secure. And some floating plants too if you don't have nay.

I have a serial killer zebra danio (normally a peaceful species) that killed his "brothers" AND a much loved
Gourami.

His punishment? Life in prison with a school of Harlequin Rasboras

He keeps trying to join them, but as soon as he does they switch directions. At first I thought it was an accident but after observing them I'm pretty sure those Harlequins are messing with him! Zebras are a HIGH energy fish and I think he's actually getting worn out because he stops and rests - maybe that little brain is trying to think up a new strategy to "get into school"

Yeah I know - bad joke LOL (no fish have been killed since he joined them) .

View attachment 92985
Poor little zebra. Maybe he had a rough childhood. :)

I'd tell him to talk to his social worker about it but all my Cory cats are in other tanks and already have a heavy case load.

Poor little zebra. Maybe he had a rough childhood. :)
Back to the Zebra bashing again I see. You take a good close look at his little face with that oh so adorable Fu Manchu thing he's got going on with those little whiskers. Look at the playful glint in his eyes and then you go into a corner and cry your shame at dissin' my little buddy the friendly Zeeb.

Don't you dare call him adorable!!! He cut of my betta clueless' fins!!! And then he killed my chocolate gourami!!
And then my licorice gourami!! And then he murdered my guppies!!! And then he ate my shrimp!!!

I would feed him to my arowana any day!!!!

Your zebra danio is a female.

The harlequins and most schooling fish prefer to be in groups of their own kind. If a fish looks similar to them they might hang out together, but danios are completely different to harlequins so they won't school.

You need a picture on the back of the tank to make the fish feel more secure. And some floating plants too if you don't have nay.

I totally agree with having multiple zebra's that can school together - in fact I started with 7 of them and this big girl and another Zebra killed off all the others Zebra's and ate the fins of one of my most beautiful Gourami's and it passed away. I moved the two zebras I had left to a smaller tank (yeah I know they like long tanks) because I wanted them isolated from my other fish. My reason for putting with the Harliquins is because they seem to school together so tightly when threatened my hope was the zebra's wouldn't be able to kill any of them (which has been true). Then I had an accident with one of the two zebra's (dropped the aquarium lid on him and now am down to 1 zebra. I don't have room in this tank for more fish and I certainly don't want any more Zebra's so other than euthanizing her I'm trying to give her the best life I can (for a serial killer). The picture was just funny - this zebra's personality has changed completely since the other one died and she has just the Harlequins to "play with" - her aggression level is down to near zero. So - not the best situation but the best resolution I could find for this "problem child". My only other option would be to buy yet another fish tank with only Zebra's in it - and even then - since some like to kill each other I don't like that solution. So just trying to make the best of a bad situation. Oh I do plan to put a backing on this tank - there actually are more plants than this picture shows but no floating plants at the moment. This tank is way too small for a Zebra fish (6 gallons) and even for the Rasboras but it was meant originally to be a quarantine tank until I ran into this problem. Once the Zebra passes I would love to move the Rasbora's back to my larger tank but some of my fish could easily eat them. These were the first fish I purchased and have since moved on to bigger Gourami's - some big enough to eat the Rasboras - so stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Back to the Zebra bashing again I see. You take a good close look at his little face with that oh so adorable Fu Manchu thing he's got going on with those little whiskers. Look at the playful glint in his eyes and then you go into a corner and cry your shame at dissin' my little buddy the friendly Zeeb.
I’m defending him. Blaming it on his past. Lol!
I totally agree with having multiple zebra's that can school together - in fact I started with 7 of them and this big girl and another Zebra killed off all the others Zebra's and ate the fins of one of my most beautiful Gourami's and it passed away. I moved the two zebras I had left to a smaller tank (yeah I know they like long tanks) because I wanted them isolated from my other fish. My reason for putting with the Harliquins is because they seem to school together so tightly when threatened my hope was the zebra's wouldn't be able to kill any of them (which has been true). Then I had an accident with one of the two zebra's (dropped the aquarium lid on him and now am down to 1 zebra. I don't have room in this tank for more fish and I certainly don't want any more Zebra's so other than euthanizing her I'm trying to give her the best life I can (for a serial killer). The picture was just funny - this zebra's personality has changed completely since the other one died and she has just the Harlequins to "play with" - her aggression level is down to near zero. So - not the best situation but the best resolution I could find for this "problem child". My only other option would be to buy yet another fish tank with only Zebra's in it - and even then - since some like to kill each other I don't like that solution. So just trying to make the best of a bad situation. Oh I do plan to put a backing on this tank - there actually are more plants than this picture shows but no floating plants at the moment. This tank is way too small for a Zebra fish (6 gallons) and even for the Rasboras but it was meant originally to be a quarantine tank until I ran into this problem. Once the Zebra passes I would love to move the Rasbora's back to my larger tank but some of my fish could easily eat them. These were the first fish I purchased and have since moved on to bigger Gourami's - some big enough to eat the Rasboras - so stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Prisoners don’t ever like the size of their jail cells but you get what you deserve.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back