Zebra Danio - Unusual Blister On Mouth

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

iBetta

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So, I was checking out all my fish today, and upon close inspection, I noticed that on one of my female Zebra Danio, she has what looks like a blister type thing on her mouth/lip.
She is eating normally, swimming fine, but this is not normal.
She looks healthy apart from this 'thing' on on mouth.

She is in a tank with other Danios but my concern is could this be contagious?
Should I remove her, and what treatment should I give her?

Pictures:
danio.jpg
Now, you probably all know how fast Zebra Danios swim right?!
These pictures took a while to get :lol:

All help greatly appreciated :fish:

I would say the Danio definitely has a bacterial infection, what specifically is more hard to say. Possibly columnaris of the mouth- columnaris more commonly affects the main body of the fish but it can act as a secondary infection to small wounds (puncture wounds from eating sharp food, scratches from netting etc) and can take different appearances depending on how it affects the fish- its a very common fish disease as the bacteria responsible for causing it is in a great deal of aquariums water. It could also just be a more generalised cyst ((also bacterial) from a tiny puncture wound.

Anyhoo, either way i would advise treating the tank with an anti bacterial med, upping the frequency of partial water changes and ensuring the fish are fed soft foods only (so avoid freeze dried critters like krill) for a while until the infection passes :thumbs: (good pics BTW :) ).

Ok, I'll try the anti bacterial med and see if that helps her out :)
Thank you :D

My cardinal had a large bubble on his mouth. He was the only fish with the bubble. He had it for almost 2 months and it got very big. I just kept up with my weekly 50% water changes (I don't like to use meds) and eventually the bubble went away. He has made a full recovery and is doing well. I never did find out what it was but I'm happy I didn't have to medicate to cure it.

Good luck with your fish

Yeah, I'll up the amount of water changes I do, as that obviously helped you.
Glad he recovered well :)

Good pictures. Either you have a nice camera or a photo friendly fish :lol:.

HI iBetta, I know this is a really old post but did you ever get anywhere with your danio? Mine has exactly the same problem...

Hello I've got the same problem. 1 of them died after having it and now another one has it. will it die too? ??
post pictures and video of the fish, pictures in particular.

and tell us about the tank, water quality, how long it's been set up for, what you have added in the last 2 weeks, how long you have had the fish for, etc.

Hello I've got the same problem. 1 of them died after having it and now another one has it. will it die too? ??
Mine is still active and swimming around after almost 3 months.. Don't see the white thing now.. Mine probably banged itself on something

Most reactions

Back