Zebra danio. Never seen anything like this.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Dpil

Reaction score
One of my zebra danios has a growth that is completely blocking its mouth. I have never seen anything like this. See picture. Please help with any treatment suggestions. Water is clean and treated. Thanks.
upload_2019-6-24_22-28-22.jpeg

One of my zebra danios has a growth that is completely blocking its mouth. I have never seen anything like this. See picture. Please help with any treatment suggestions. Water is clean and treated. Thanks.View attachment 92088
Hi and welcome to the forum :hi:

It looks really sore. Poor fish!

Iā€™m not sure what it is to be honest. @Colin_T may know. A cyst maybe?

Could you provide information on your parameters and the tank age?

Best of luck!

Best of luck!
Hi GL3X.
Thanks for the reply. It is getting bigger and itā€™s completely blocking his mouth so he canā€™t eat. Otherwise he is swimming around and you would think quite healthy. He is 2.5 years old. We keep the water clean and use conditioner. I donā€™t have parameters. I have been adding melafix. Is there anyway to turn this around or is it too late for the little guy. Whatā€™s the best thing to do from here.
Thanks so much

Hi GL3X.
Thanks for the reply. It is getting bigger and itā€™s completely blocking his mouth so he canā€™t eat. Otherwise he is swimming around and you would think quite healthy. He is 2.5 years old. We keep the water clean and use conditioner. I donā€™t have parameters. I have been adding melafix. Is there anyway to turn this around or is it too late for the little guy. Whatā€™s the best thing to do from here.
Thanks so much
I think most people would euthanise the fish once it canā€™t eat anymore.

However, I am totally against this. I think fish should always pass away naturally.

I would wait for @Colin_T to reply.

@Deanasue has lots of information and experience with the use of melafix. She may also be able to help.

Best of luck!

Well, I believe in stopping suffering in animals when needed. Guppy lover3x, youā€™re going to be disappointed in me this time. Iā€™m so sorry. That fish is suffering. If you look closely the redness is spreading under his eye and onto his gill plate. He has a nasty infection. I would get some Clove oil. Put fish in a little tank water (3/4 cup). Add one drop of clove oil at a time to relax him. Then add 3 more to put him down. If you have some vodka, you can add a drop of that too. May want to take a drop yourself of the vofka to calm your nerves.. He will fall asleep. Once his gills stop moving ( usually in a few minutes), heā€™s gone. I then leave them in for 20 minutes longer to be sure. Itā€™s painless and IMO, the most humane way. Is it better to let him fall asleep or starve to death? If you choose to try and keep him alive then quickly get some Kanaplex and Furan-2 and use them together according to package directions. If it is growing that fast, I really donā€™t think You have time to turn this around. Others will come on with different techniques to euthanize. Choose the one you feel most comfortable with if you choose that route. Clove oil can be found in aromatherapy areas and is an essential oil. Iā€™m so sorry and wish you the best.

Last edited:
Well, I believe in stopping suffering in animals when needed. Guppy lover3x, youā€™re going to be disappointed in me this time. Iā€™m so sorry. That fish is suffering. If you look closely the redness is spreading under his eye and onto his gill plate. He has a nasty infection. I would get some Clove oil. Put fish in a little tank water (3/4 cup). Add one drop of clove oil at a time to relax him. Then add 3 more to put him down. If you have some vodka, you can add a drop of that too. May want to take a drop yourself of the vofka to calm your nerves.. He will fall asleep. Once his gills stop moving ( usually in a few minutes), heā€™s gone. I then leave them in for 20 minutes longer to be sure. Itā€™s painless and IMO, the most humane way. Is it better to let him fall asleep or starve to death? If you choose to try and keep him alive then quickly get some Kanaplex and Furan-2 and use them together according to package directions. If it is growing that fast, I really donā€™t think You have time to turn this around. Others will come on with different techniques to euthanize. Choose the one you feel most comfortable with if you choose that route. Clove oil can be found in aromatherapy areas and is an essential oil. Iā€™m so sorry and wish you the best.
Thank you @Deanasue

I truly believe you know better than me.

Note to OP: Deanasue has lots more experience than me. I would definitely follow what she says. And I have to agree on the fact that the fish does look like itā€™s suffering.

I only go against euthanasia because Iā€™m quite soft as a person. Otherwise it probably is the best way forward. Especially to end suffering.

I wish you the best of luck. Really sorry about your fish :(

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Unfortunately when fish get fast growing infections that stop them feeding, the best thing is to euthanise the fish.

Danios only live for a couple of years anyway, so yours had a good run. They live longer in cool water than warm water.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate each day for a week to dilute any disease organisms in the water.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, don't clean it unless the flow rate has reduced.
Wash filter materials in a bucket of tank water and re-use them.

Best of luck!
Hi GL3X.
Thanks for the reply. It is getting bigger and itā€™s completely block his mouth so he canā€™t eat. Otherwise he is swimming around and you would think quite healthy. He is 2.5 years old. We keep the water clean and use conditioner. I have been adding meta fix
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Unfortunately when fish get fast growing infections that stop them feeding, the best thing is to euthanise the fish.

Danios only live for a couple of years anyway, so yours had a good run. They live longer in cool water than warm water.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate each day for a week to dilute any disease organisms in the water.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, don't clean it unless the flow rate has reduced.
Wash filter materials in a bucket of tank water and re-use them.

Thanks to all who have contributed. I am taking into account all of your well experienced perspectives.

If the fish can't eat and the problem is getting worse, euthanise the fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back