Zebra Danio Missing Tail

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Biffle16

Reaction score
Good morning!...My name is Alan and I am new to the forum, I have a had 1 10G tank running for about 3 years with Goldfish from the local county fair. Very suprised thay are all still swimming!....for the last year I've had Neon Tetras and Zebra Danios and African Dwarf frogs all in the tank. However I have removed all but the Goldfish, they actually are aggressive and now very large. I now have a second 10G tank running, about 3 months now and I also have 2 Guppies, male and female which 2 weeks ago she had baby fry. 5 have survived and are doing well. The frogs have since died, but the 2 Neon Tetras, Danios, Guppies all get along very well as far as I can tell until this morning. The one Danio is now missing his tail completely....very concerned I have a night time assasin.....Any thoughts?

Good morning!...My name is Alan and I am new to the forum, I have a had 1 10G tank running for about 3 years with Goldfish from the local county fair. Very suprised thay are all still swimming!....for the last year I've had Neon Tetras and Zebra Danios and African Dwarf frogs all in the tank. However I have removed all but the Goldfish, they actually are aggressive and now very large. I now have a second 10G tank running, about 3 months now and I also have 2 Guppies, male and female which 2 weeks ago she had baby fry. 5 have survived and are doing well. The frogs have since died, but the 2 Neon Tetras, Danios, Guppies all get along very well as far as I can tell until this morning. The one Danio is now missing his tail completely....very concerned I have a night time assasin.....Any thoughts?
Hello and welcome to the forum.
How many Z Danios do you have?

Keith.

Hello, I have 2 Zebra Danios....well actually 1 3/4....LOL after the tail issue

Hello, I have 2 Zebra Danios....well actually 1 3/4....LOL after the tail issue
I've just noticed you have posted this question in the tropical emergencies. I would increase your Z Danios shoal. This will cut down the aggrestion that your current two are possibly showing.

Keith.

I agree with Kieth. The Danios need to be in a shoal to stop there agressive tendancys. you need at least 4, 6 would be ideal.

Thanks for the info....I will head to the store in the next few days to seek out a few more Zebra Danios. Thanks again!

Update on the Zebra Danio that lost its tail, he passed, came home from dinner and he was stuck to the intake of the filter. The aggresive Danio I had to move, he was chewing at the tails of the others including giving the 2 1/2 week old 5 Guppy fry that so far have survived a hard time also. I put him in the tank I have with Goldfish, they are about 3 years old and quite large so hopefully his attitude will tone down and maybe I can re-unite him with his others later. I do not know if this is the right thing to do, but at the time it seemed to be correct to save the other fish he is attacking. Now he is a top swimmer and keeps his distance.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back