Zebra Danio looks pregnant :<

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sumer_kay

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
One of my 2 zebras looks pregnant, I thought maybe she was going to drop eggs, (I know they aren't livebearers) because it doesn't seem to be dropsy, she seems otherwise fine, and no one else is having any problems. Any ideas? Maybe it IS dropsy? arg. I :wub: my zebras!

Most likely eggs if you don't see any raised scales or red streaks.

They get REALLY fat. Sometimes they look like they will explode soon but it's normal. If you have any males they will empty her out on a regular basis ;)

Mine's been really huge for weeks. Not quite sure if there are no other males or if it's worms.

You might also have to add more danios, though your tank can't hold any more fish because they might both be females (in which case they won't breed). :no:

Sidenote: Watch out for the plec. If it's common it'll get really big later and you'll have to move it.

thanks for the advice! :)

Side note: I know about the pleco, but I love him so much! I am going to get him a bigger tank as soon as I can afford one! :thumbs:

Second question, one of my danios fins are longer, the swimming fins on the sides, like double the length of the other, is this how you tell female from male?
:wub:

You may just have a long finned danio. Males are easy to tell because they are so much skinnier then females. males are also more gold in between their strips while females are more silver. Here is a picture of my long finned female gold danio, just to show you how fat they can get.
post-22-1080359306.jpg

Long finned and short finned male danios
post-22-1080359218.jpg

I have better pictures if you would like to see.

Well that means I have one long finned one reular haha. You know funny thing is they look blue to me between the stipes, guess it could go either way! Thanks for the pics auratus, I would love to see a few more :)

You mean your zebras will stay still long enough for you to even look at them. I think mine are on crack cocaine...they twitch around so much it makes me nervous.
:crazy:

:cool: on the Eggs, if and so it is Eggs.

Mine are on crack too but I just catch them at the right moment.
Here is another of one of the shortfinned males.
post-43-1083889033.jpg

Longfinned male
post-22-1078801162.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back