FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

BlakeFisher

Reaction score
I have only ever had Bettas and Plecos, but after the recent passing of my Betta fish, I decided I wanted to get a school of fish. I got a used 45g tank off marketplace. When I went to pick it up the guy asked if I Wanted his four fish. The tank was caked in dirt, and the fish were in a small glass of water that had particles of dirt mixed in it. I set up the tank, put my Pleco Chong in there and then added the four other fish I received with the tank. everyone seemed to be happy. One fish is a colored skirt tetra, one a red eye tetra, a zebra Danio and a Neon tetra. Obviously none of them were in a school so I would imagine they were stressed. Not to mention their poor living environment prior to being in my care. The Zebra Danio has a large stomach compared to the other ones I just bought as tank mates. My Betta developed dropsy when we moved across the country, but his scales never flared, so I know from experience that just because the scales aren’t sticking out it doesn’t mean it’s not dropsy. I am attaching photos so anyone who knows about these fish, and what they look like when they’re bloated or carrying eggs vs when they have dropsy can help. Thanks in advance!
529394DC-30F0-4B10-99C3-31752C47F172.jpeg
529394DC-30F0-4B10-99C3-31752C47F172.jpeg
5B7BFE73-8170-4412-BDE8-61A12EE96FCF.jpeg
5B7BFE73-8170-4412-BDE8-61A12EE96FCF.jpeg

Attachments

• D0084E82-A282-4FD7-90F5-2432C375483D.jpeg
    D0084E82-A282-4FD7-90F5-2432C375483D.jpeg
    876.3 KB · Views: 97
It could be dropsy or an egg bound female. Keep a close eye on it.

@Colin_T may be able to help

No problem :)

Are you aware of the nitrogen cycle?

Sure :) heres a link that explains it better than I could. Since you already have fish in the tank you will be doing a fish-in cycle and will probably need to do daily water changes until the tank is cycled. Let me know if you have any questions!

Sure :) heres a link that explains it better than I could. Since you already have fish in the tank you will be doing a fish-in cycle and will probably need to do daily water changes until the tank is cycled. Let me know if you have any questions!

The information is pretty confusing, but I will continue to read up on it. Thanks for the info!

The information is pretty confusing, but I will continue to read up on it. Thanks for the info!
Short version is that fish produce ammonia, which is toxic. There is bacteria that eats the ammonia but it takes time to establish. Before that bacteria is fully there you should do water changes any time the ammonia is above 0 to keep your fish safe :)

Also it would halo to add a lot of plants including floating plants to help absorb ammonia and nitrites.

Short version is that fish produce ammonia, which is toxic. There is bacteria that eats the ammonia but it takes time to establish. Before that bacteria is fully there you should do water changes any time the ammonia is above 0 to keep your fish safe :)
Ah ok, I understand. Thank you!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back