zebra danio babies??

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

belle

Reaction score
I just got 4 zebra danios a week ago (to the day)...my first fish in my new tank...I was just looking in there and I saw a teeny tiny little metalic fleck by one of the plants...It was moving and settled on a leaf-- I swear it looks like a baby fish-- and I think I saw another one on a different leaf too-
Is that even possible? They've been there only a week!
They're SOOOO small, I don't even think I could catch them with my net....
I do have a net-type fry tank from the past when a guppy had babies...
Any recommendations if they are babies?
All I've done so far is to feed the fish again so they don't eat the babies (if that's what those little specks are!)

Hi!

I know EXACTLY what you mean. Yes, they are fry(more like pieces of junk). I saw them for the first time about a month ago. I actually caught one and raised it until it disappeared(probobly died) among the stones. My advise for you is, have fun but dont get your hopes up for raising them. I dont even know what they eat and they are impossible to catch. I used an eye-dropper to suck them up(they are that small, as you already know).

About them being eated?, dont count on it, i mean, they are the size if a grain of sand so if we could barely see them, the danio wont at all, unfortunatly though, they will probobly die, i am 99.9% sure of it but, anything can happen!

Well, good luck and happy hunting! :sly: :huh: (a magnifying glass may help ;) )

Here's an update, actually, on the zebra babies--
I got one of those net breeders, and a brine shrimp net (its white and has a very fine mesh). A couple babies were stuck on a plant, so I stuck the whole thing in the net-breeder. Then the hunt was on-- any casual observer would have thought we're nuts-- my boyfriend and I searching the tank for these microscopic little things! We caught one yesterday, then this morning another 2 had sandwiched themselves between the side of the net-breeder and the glass, so I neted them too.
With help from an awesome local store, I now am set to feed them too--
They gave me some water from one of their established tanks (my tank is not even a month old), and told me to put a lettuce leaf in it and leave the whole thing in the sun for a couple days-- then when the water's pretty funky, I put a little in with the babies-- I guess little 'things' will grow in the water that will be small enough for the teeny babies to eat when they start swimming around. Then after a while I have some frozen baby brine shrimp to feed them.
I'm mostly worried that they won't make it now because my tank hasn't "cycled" yet, so I'm thinking that they're in for some rough water's ahead. I'm keeping my fingers crossed though!
:D

Most reactions

trending

Back