Yup Another Lighting Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rictheredneck

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
right had a 400w halide over my 38x18x24 until the tank cracked so went out and bout a 48x18x24 high tank just wondering if you guys think the light is still ok for the size I'm intending to keep mainly clams. the light is reaching both sides of the tank which is cycling still at the moment. what do you guys think think/suggest?

Well, I realize that a 400watt halide is powerful, but the reflectors don't really cover 4' with a lot of photosynthetically available radiation (PAR). It may look relatively bright, but in simple terms, there's little growth "punch" near the edges. You could still have some clams near the center, but probably nothing more than softies would grow near the edges.

Most halides can cover a 2' span very well, but 4 is really streatching things.

Well, I realize that a 400watt halide is powerful, but the reflectors don't really cover 4' with a lot of photosynthetically available radiation (PAR). It may look relatively bright, but in simple terms, there's little growth "punch" near the edges. You could still have some clams near the center, but probably nothing more than softies would grow near the edges.

Most halides can cover a 2' span very well, but 4 is really streatching things.

thanx ski that was pretty much what i was thinking. so i dont think i'll be upgrading anytime soon you can get some cool looking mushies but what would you suggest dual 250's im presuming dual 400's is a bit overkill.

Dual 250's on a 90gal tank would more than do it :good:. Heck, even dual 175s would do most of the job.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back