Yoyos and Barbs Eating Veggies

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
An Acid tank for starters will mean that any Ammonia spikes will be nonexistent.
If you have a stable tank then ammonia spikes are non-existent anyway.

Assuming you are at least within range of your fishes requirements then messing with your water parameters is way more likely to causing a problem then the possibility that you might get an ammonia spike.

If you have a stable tank then ammonia spikes are non-existent anyway.

Assuming you are at least within range of your fishes requirements then messing with your water parameters is way more likely to causing a problem then the possibility that you might get an ammonia spike.
I don't agree. You need an acid tank to avoid Ammonia spikes

I don't agree. You need an acid tank to avoid Ammonia spikes
Why would you have ammonia spikes with a mature filter and stable tank? Even less of an issue if you have a densely planted tank. If you are having ammonia spikes in your tanks you are doing something very, very wrong.

However you screw up adjusting your water parameters even once (very easy to do) and suddenly you will have a lot of very unhappy fish on your hands.

Edit: Also adjust water parameters to get them "perfect" is a lot harder to do in an emergency then massive water changes. If I had to choose between an ammonia spike and a PH crash I would take the ammonia spike any day. I can fix that just by doing lots of big water changes and making sure my biological filtration is working right.

PH crash I have to carefully readjust my water parameters back to whatever "normal" I had created so as not to shock my fish by rapidly swinging it one way then the other. This is a lot of water mixing and measuring and a lot of room for things to go horribly wrong.

Edit 2:
If someone is doing something that badly that they are having ammonia spikes then they are definitely going to kill all their fish by trying to adjust water hardness and PH.

Last edited:
The best way to avoid Ammonia spikes is having an acid based tank. If you want to keep fish like African Cichlids or Marines or Live Bearers in an Alkaline system then you have to accept that by feeding that tank you will get an Ammonia spike sometimes.

you have to accept that by feeding that tank you will get an Ammonia spike sometimes.
What!?

If you have a mature, stable tank with enough biological filtration/plants why on earth would you ever get an ammonia spike unless you do something seriously wrong? Nobody should ever accept that ammonia spikes are just part of having aquariums.

I have kept a lot of fish from acid/softwater fish to hardwater Chiclids and full marine reef systems. Not one of them EVER had ammonia spikes because I had adequate biological filtration and didn't do stupid stuff like over feeding or destroying my biological filtration. I used to be friends with someone who had very large predator tanks that had insane amounts of food being put into the system. Even they never had ammonia spikes because they had adequate filtration to cope with the bio load.

I say again if someone is getting ammonia spikes they are doing it wrong. If you cannot run a tank without getting ammonia spikes I HIGHLY doubt your ability to be able properly adjust and monitor water parameters in a stable and safe way.

Not every tank needs to be acid. Some fish need acid pH. Some need basic pH. Many fish are a lot more adaptable than some of us give them credit for; some less so. There is no one-size-fits-all, as we all know. Generally, I find it is much better to choose fish suitable for the pH and hardness of one's water source. Constantly fiddling with these parameters, at best, creates a lot of extra work at water-change time. At worst, it can sicken your fish if not done perfectly. Insisting that ammonia spikes are inevitable unless a tank is acid? That's simply incorrect.

Barney is right: If feeding is causing ammonia spikes, you either have a nitrogen cycle that isn't working, or you're feeding far, far too much.

I think we should take a poll on who's yoyo actually eat zucchini. As I mentioned mine won't touch the stuff for which the plecos are quite grateful. it is bad enough they have to share it with the clown loaches; imagine their mood if they had to share it with the yoyo loaches.

I think we should take a poll on who's yoyo actually eat zucchini. As I mentioned mine won't touch the stuff for which the plecos are quite grateful. it is bad enough they have to share it with the clown loaches; imagine their mood if they had to share it with the yoyo loaches.
Ah, back on topic! Let's stay on this, shall we? :)

I find this interesting because I've never kept yoyos, but my dwarf chain loaches never showed the slightest interest in veggies. They always seemed more like micropredators to me. Perhaps my presentation lacked appeal. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back