Yoyo/Pakistani Loach

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

LauraFrog

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hi all

Again my reading about this species has turned up a heap of conflicting information so I'd love some opinions. Is a 20 gallon tank big enough for a yoyo loach? Also, some books/websites say keep them in groups, and others say keep them alone because they fight if you keep more than one. Can anybody advise?

Thanks

I have heard (and been told myself) that yoyo loaches can be aggressive but that very much depends on the tankmates IME.

I have a group of 5 yoyo loaches in a 65 gal tank and they do very well. They grow at a scarily fast rate though, so my only advice would be to not buy more than you can comfortably house at full size, as you'll not have much time to upgrade!

I found my yoyo loaches to be very social, they did bully the smallest member of the group for a while (but he was severely emaciated and nearly died before I purchased him so I think they were just chasing him out because he wasn't well), but now that all of my loaches are nice and fat they get along fine together.

I wouldn't keep yoyo loaches with any timid bottom dwellers (although plecs aren't bothered with so they're fine).

I also wouldn't keep these guys alone, my group are always together and I recently visited a friend who has only one yoyo loach and he spends the whole time swimming backwards and forwards and up and down the glass :( My loaches behave very naturally by comparison.

I would imagine a 20gal (so long as it's long not tall) would probably house 3 of these guys quite happily as long as there were no other loaches in the tank.
This is just my opinion based on my experience, and someone else may come along and give a completely different opinion.

Additional to the good advise i get from this forum I have found this web site and forum quite incite full when it comes to loaches :good: http://www.loaches.com/species-index/botia-almorhae

I hope it helps

Regards onebto

Hi, YoYos do need to be in groups of 5+. IMO 20g would be too small for a group of them, please bear in mind that they grow to 6". They are very terratorial so you would need several hiding spots/caves for them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back