Yoyo Loaches

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

interpet123

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'm not sure whether this is me just being stupid, but could a couple of yoyo loaches go in a 94 litre (20 gal) tank?? :blush:

I had 5 in a 140 litre tank which didnt turn out so good, they also struggled to compete against my other very common fish (danio, keyholes and BN). I found that one of them ate alot and the other did not, they loved live worms and algae wafers and yet one day they all stopped eating, I could not figure out why. Eventually they died which was pretty demoralizing being my first fish (I presumed they were relatively hardy)

If you go by the facts you need more than 5 as they are very social fish otherwise they may be too "boisterous" (mine weren't) Offer them alot of little caves, and hiding places (they get stuck when worried) they also play dead which can be very confusing. There is an excellent website called the Loach Almanic (I think?) which is dedicated to loaches. I think with your tank the dwarf chain loach would be better suited or the polka dot loach (if you can find any) as they are a smaller type.

If i was to keep them again I would use a sand substrate, subdued lighting and probably a species only tank.

Thanks for your help, i will definitely take your advice into consideration when stocking my tank!! :good:

This has been mentioned but I will second it I would not keep two yoyo together they are far to social and it would not be fare on them 5 plus I would say is the minimum.

Secondly they need a long tank to stretch there fins in fact yoyo's can swim at astonishing speed and agility a site to see :good:

Here is a good bio page on YoYo's : YoYo bio

I hope this helps you

Regards onebto.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back